Spammers

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Spammers

Post by the plod » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:31 pm

We have had a spate of spammers here on the uilleannforum of late... it has taken me about two weeks to finally get adequate security measures in place (fingers crossed) to keep the bastards out. I may have deleted a few real users in the process, hopefully not, but if anyone finds weirdness with their account let me know.

Jeff

djm

Re: Spammers

Post by djm » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:22 pm

I set up my forums to stop any new user application until I manually approve them (or delete them). It took a couple of months for them to catch on that I was no longer an easy mark for their automated set-up scripts but now I only get a few spammers per month. It only takes seconds for me to recognize the spammers and delete them. Haven't had a successful spammer since, and reduced the number of bogus current members in half from previous admins' efforts.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:54 am

I've tried the approve thing, but I travel a lot and keeping up with forums can be difficult.... About every two years or so, the bastards find a way through my defenses. It annoys me for a while but I can usually hold them at bay. I have rebuilt the walls and it looks to be working again.

KM

Post by KM » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:29 am

thanks for your hard work, ps I am not spam :)