David Daye/Patrick Sky pipes

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

Aubreyh

David Daye/Patrick Sky pipes

Post by Aubreyh » Thu May 05, 2016 8:21 pm

Hello everyone. I'm a long time GHP and whistle player that has been bitten by the Uilleann bug. I've been looking at a lot of makers and narrowed it down to two. Mostly because I cannot spend more than $2,500 on a set of pipes. I know some people say to start with a practice set. I however will start with a 1/2 set and leave the drones off.

David Daye and Patrick Sky make pipes that are in my price range. I would greatly appreciate any input on these two sets of pipes. Pros and cons etc...

Thanks for listening

djm

Re: David Daye/Patrick Sky pipes

Post by djm » Fri May 06, 2016 10:49 am

Best choice is a pipemaker near you so you can go directly to them for assistance/guidance, especially in your formative years. This alone is worth the extra bucks. Starting with a half set is fine, and some would even go further and tell you to start with a 3/4 or full set. The best thing about UPs is that no-one is ever entirely right. There's always a wide range of possibilities, with everyone vociferously browbeating each other on what is seldom more than a personal opinion.

That being said, I would go with Pat Sky of the two makers you mention. He is a good piper as well as maker with loads of experience.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

Aubreyh

Re: David Daye/Patrick Sky pipes

Post by Aubreyh » Fri May 06, 2016 11:11 am

Thank you for the quick response.