Ideal length for neck of pipes bag

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

PIPERFOOL16

Ideal length for neck of pipes bag

Post by PIPERFOOL16 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:49 am

Dear Sirs,
a newbie question I know, but what is the ideal length for the neck of a bag? I find the one on my half set always seems to be folded at the beginning of the neck and there seems to be a fight between the bag neck and the chanter top, each trying to pull in the opposite direction. I am a right-handed piper of small build with relatively short arms. I don't know if my position is incorrect or if it would help to have the neck shorter. Can the neck of the bag be shortened or will it be harder to tie the chanter stock back in if the circumference of the neck is slightly bigger if it has been cut back?

Thank you for your help.

Mr.Gumby

Re: Ideal length for neck of pipes bag

Post by Mr.Gumby » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:33 am

It's really a sort of an 'how long is a piece of string' question. A lot depends on your build, the length of your arms, your posture. Also the length and angle of your chanter.

A standard bag usually works for an average of people. Your pipemaker should be able to help you find the perfect fit. Probably not a good idea to start chopping from the position of inexperience until you're 100% sure your playing position and the way you hold the bag (length of the bag/bellows connection!) are all as they should be.
My brain hurts

outofthebox8

Post by outofthebox8 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:11 am

In my opinion a bag neck that is on the longer side is preferable to a shorter one, as it provides the chanter with more flexibility of movement. But it is important that the neck is made in such a way that it will not collapse in on itself as the chanter moves around. The insertion of a piece of light, flexible tubing into the neck will prevent this collapse and allow for free movement and position of the chanter.

reedmaster

Post by reedmaster » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:02 pm

I like your thinking. I have wondered myself if you could support the neck with tubing to keep it from pinching off the neck.

outofthebox8

Post by outofthebox8 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:06 am

The neck of my own bag is made from a piece of washing machine flexible pipe. It is actually longer than I need, so it kind of doubles back on itself - instead of sticking straight out in front it kind of curves outwards in a little semi-circle. This provides a lot of slack in the neck for moving the chanter around, instead of having to keep it at a fixed angle to the knee all of the time.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:50 am

I have always found that if you are holding the bag correctly under the arm, sitting relaxed and forward with your knee slightly below the other one, when you inflate the bag it will fill the neck rigidly and the chanter should stand up on your knee without you holding it up. You should then be able to put your hands on the chanter and play. if you are at anytime pinching off the neck then your personal ergonomics are off and you should fix that rather than supporting the neck with tubing or at least investigate it before changing bags. You may need a slightly longer neck if/when you move to regulators (I did) but the above tenets still apply then also.

Jeff

djm

Post by djm » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:38 pm

Depends on the size of the set, I think. For my D set I agree with you, but for my B set, with the old-style neck that plugged right into the top of the chanter, It had to have the tubing inserted as ootbox8 described.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes