Keys of Uilleann Pipes

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

Keys of Uilleann Pipes

Postby dstamand10 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:23 pm

If the most typical bottom note in Irish traditional music is D and the bottom note is typically a D, how is it that there are "flat sets" that are popular? Are there extra keys added to the bottom range but the fingering otherwise is the same as a D chanter? What are the considerations that go into choosing a set that is D or what would be the advantage for instance of a C sharp set which I see a lot of in the classifieds.

If an article or previous post somewhere explains this topic feel free to refer me to it,

Thank you for any help...
dstamand10

Re: Keys of Uilleann Pipes

Postby KM » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:18 am

I think the term is transposable instrument. Like whistles , saxophones, written music and fingering will be the same although the pitch differs. Concert D is the bright one often found in pub sessions. Narrow bore D or flat sets being a little mellower often. Pitches other than D can sound great with other instruments but will be useless in many trad Irish music sessions. Not so easy to find musicians able or willing to tune to a flat set ( other than D) but they make great solo instruments.
KM

Postby chris bayley » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:19 am

what would be the advantage for instance of a C sharp set which I see a lot of in the classifieds.

Simples : Stops the box players in their tracks and gives the not very guitar player a headache if he hasn't got a capo
New Website now live at http://www.uilleann-pipes.co.uk. It is still under construction with more to be added
My original website http://www.bagpipeworld.co.uk remains in place as historical
chris bayley

Postby Mr.Gumby » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:15 am

Not so easy to find musicians able or willing to tune to a flat set

Hmm, I beg to differ.
My brain hurts
Mr.Gumby

Postby KM » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:34 am

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Not so easy to find musicians able or willing to tune to a flat set

Hmm, I beg to differ.

Depends who you know, who you are and where you are.
A good player in a county and country rich in trad music would find it easier than some.
KM

Postby KM » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:29 am

forum spambot - madooeie - previous poster
KM

Return to Uilleann Pipes General Discussion