Classical repertoire on the pipes?

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

danielhorn

Classical repertoire on the pipes?

Post by danielhorn » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:53 pm

Howdy, folks!

I'm familiar with Jerry O'Sullivan's work on his "O'Sullivan Meets O'Farrell" CDs, but am wondering if anybody else has any experience with adapting other Classical "art" music for the uilleann pipes?

Context for my question... I'm lucky enough to be close to an amazing classical violinist, who also plays a pretty mean fiddle in my band (http://www.thefireinsideceltic.com). The last time we were doing a recording session, we decided to do a quick take of Pachelbel's Canon in D using our Irish instruments, in order to promote ourselves as a wedding ensemble, and it ended up being really fun to play and turned out to be a neat recording, in my opinion: http://youtu.be/oPAjEHGyFWc . Of course, having played about a thousand weddings herself, she's bored to tears of that piece and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to talk her into playing it again... so what next?

That particular piece of music, being already in the key of D, and almost entirely in the correct range for the pipes, was a no-brainer. Are there other things out there that you've found work similarly well? I'd love to find music for duet or trio, for example, that could be played as an ensemble with the pipes, fiddle, whistle, etc. My first thought was to look at baroque oboe repertoire, but there's a lot there to weed through... Flute music tends to have a lot of repeated notes and high-register stuff that doesn't translate well to the pipes.
Thoughts? Experiences?

tompipes

Re: Classical repertoire on the pipes?

Post by tompipes » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:31 pm

There have been some nice pieces written for pipes and orchestra by Shaun Davey and more recently Dave Flynn.

Also, if you do a youtube search for Musette De Cour you'll find lots of lovely pieces which might be suitable too.

Keep us posted!

Tommy

outofthebox

Re: Classical repertoire on the pipes?

Post by outofthebox » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:41 am

Any piece without too many sharps and flats could be transposed from the original key to play in the key of D or G or whatever on the pipes. There is even great software available that will quickly transpose sheet music from one key to another.