bag and chanter side air intake angle

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

KM

bag and chanter side air intake angle

Post by KM » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:05 am

I noticed something interesting at Listowel NPU tionol the other week ( well it was interesting for me anyway). Two pipers, one with a steep air inlet on the chanter top and a steep angle of bag holding position, another piper with a shallower angle of chanter air inlet and shallow bag angle, almost horizontal. I wondered if one dictated the other or if it was just coincidence.

outofthebox

Re: bag and chanter side air intake angle

Post by outofthebox » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:32 am

Yes KM - I think this is an issue - and especially with the usual type of bags which have nothing to support the neck from collapsing in on itself. So to keep the airway clear to the chanter the piper has no choice but to line the bag up to the angle of the air intake. If the bag neck had a piece of flexible tubing inside it would prevent this problem of the leather collapsing in on itself and the angle of the air intake would be less of an issue. In any case I can see no reason for the intake tubing to be set at such an acute angle, as in the case of the second illustration - other than slavish following of an old chanter design.

awilde569

Post by awilde569 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:16 am

I think the preference can also depend on whether you have long thin arms or short stocky arms. In my case I had the latter and generally needed the shallow (left) bag position when playing for comfort.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity

Driftwood

Post by Driftwood » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:11 am

Logic suggests that the neck should line up with the angle of the chanter air intake as closely as possible. Then you'll only have to worry about the shape and size of the bag, the length of the neck, and the position of the mainstock and the bellows connection! I have a Jackie Boyce bag which has a slight curve sewn into the neck and this seems to add strength to it - not much danger of collapsing I think.

KM

Post by KM » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:57 am

Driftwood wrote:Logic suggests that the neck should line up with the angle of the chanter air intake as closely as possible
But this raises the question, which bag holding position is best and why? Then an air inlet could be made to any angle rather than the player adapting to the metal.

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:00 am

KM - You might remember the nice chanter top you made for me a couple of years ago when I asked you to fit the air intake at an angle about 75 degrees. I asked for it like this because it seemed to give me the best alignment of my right hand to the regulators on my set and that angle has worked well for me. That quite shallow angle is enough to have my chanter sloping in a little from the top, so that my right hand is closer to my body than my left hand. Of course one angle might not suit all players.

KM

Post by KM » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:30 am

outofthebox wrote:KM - You might remember
Just about vaguely. I didn't know you from the username though. Nice to know now :)