Travelling pipes Easyjet Flybe

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

Travelling pipes Easyjet Flybe

Postby KM » Sat May 03, 2014 4:48 am

Planning on taking the pipes to Nantes, France.
Looking into travel options. Flybe and Easyjet half the price of driving or train.
Although easyjet say on their web, musical instruments up to 130cm can be carried in cabin. I queried it with easy jet to be sure and sure enough that is rubbish, they say it must go in the hold.
Flybe same.
I have a GHB case which is 63 but limit is 55cm
Anyone out there familiar with taking uilleann pipes to Frace or with easyjet, flybe?
Howdyall think pipes and reeds fair in the hold?
I've watched baggage handlers throw cases around like basketballs.
I've had several cases damaged in the cargo hold over the years.
Not sure what to do.
KM

Re: Travelling pipes Easyjet Flybe

Postby wooff » Sat May 03, 2014 5:59 am

Some people talk of buying an extra seat as a way of taking their instrument on board.

I"ve usually flown with Aerlingus and taken the pipes in-cabin but last time they went in the hold, well packed and without problem.

Having said that I'd much prefer to pay the extra and get the Train or drive.
wooff

Postby Mr.Gumby » Sat May 03, 2014 6:07 am

I flew to Nantes with Ryanair (from Shannon) two years ago, the pipes-case went through easily in Shannon ('ah sure, no problem') despite being slightly over the carry-on size. I carried it on no bother on the way back as well (they weren't watching too closely).
My brain hurts
Mr.Gumby

Postby KM » Sun May 04, 2014 2:26 am

Thanks for the replies guys.
I am travelling with a party of people, would be quite a step to say I'll just meet you there, but will need to add up the prices of driving again from Glasgow.
These budget airlines charge you extra if you try and sneak a larger case on board and then have to check it in, £45 instead of 30, not too much but you have to go to the back of the queue again.
Glad to hear that others have put the pipes in the hold and been ok.
KM

Postby KM » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:18 am

On a recent trip to France I was able to get a full set of cocert pies and a 3/4 set of B uilleann pipes in the one case. They shared the same set of bellows but each had their own pipebag. A few whistle too. I did wrap them in tshrts etc but removed that for the photo.
This case was a little too big for the over head luggage container onboard Flybe, but it was allowed on board Easyjet.
If you are taking pipes by easyjet, it is worth drawing attention to the easyjet musical instrument policy on their website, the staff probably won't know about it. I was refused taking the pipes on at Paris until I told them about their policy.
KM

Return to Uilleann Pipes General Discussion