LEARNING Cross fingerings, Half Holing, Shading, Venting...

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

glasba

LEARNING Cross fingerings, Half Holing, Shading, Venting...

Post by glasba » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:53 am

Hello,

I have a question which is actualy related to my previous post on another forum... http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewto ... =6&t=97435 ...but I feel it needs to be posted separetly:

Are there any tutors (books, VIDEOS, YouTube tutorials, articles...) which talk or include "IN DEPTH" study of Cross fingerings, Half holing, Shading, Venting & Vibrato. I think Geoff Wooff wrote an article about Cross fingerings, but didn't find it on NPU site. Some other publications ect. ?

I know I should sit & experiment everything possible, but I still miss some helping aids for easier understanding of above rarely mentioned topics.

Thank you, Best AA

djm

Re: LEARNING Cross fingerings, Half Holing, Shading, Venting

Post by djm » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:38 am

The closest I can think of is Dennis Brook's tutor available from the Seattle pipers' club, and even then, it does not reveal all the secrets of the universe as you seem to be hoping for. There is so much to figure out that may or may not apply to other chanter/reed combinations that I don't know of anyone who has chosen to set down everything they have learned just so that others can learn faster and have more knowledge sooner. Best bet is to know your pipemaker where possible. They can give you a lot of insight based on their own experiences just trying to consistently come up with a working set.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes