New Release - the eighteen Moloney by David Power

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

Leremarkable

New Release - the eighteen Moloney by David Power

Post by Leremarkable » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:25 am

I've a new recording called 'the eighteen Moloney' featuring the historic B flat chanter I've been playing for the last five or six years, matched with a Johnny Bourke B set, suitably modified. Details available on my new site at;

www.davidpowerup.com

I'll have it with me on an upcoming tour of the US with 'The Masters of Tradition'

www.rotharts.com for details

Regards,

David Power
For each ecstatic moment we must in anguish pain

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: New Release - the eighteen Moloney by David Power

Post by the plod » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:08 am

Nice! Thanks for the heads up David

Jeff

Mypipes

Post by Mypipes » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:07 pm

Anyone wanting to hear classic piping by the Master himself on The Eighteen Maloney, Get this CD, David's playing is nectar of Gods! Just got my CD on St. Patrick's and have been listening to Sweet tones on the B set. Brings back some fond memories!!! :D

Leremarkable

Post by Leremarkable » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:23 am

A recent review by Siobhan Long of the Irish Times

The sheer breadth of expression captured by Waterford piper David Power in his latest collection will be enough to stop many listeners in their tracks. The title is a reference to an Uilleann pipe chanter that Power received as a gift, made by Thomas and Andrew Moloney before the Famine. The chanter’s picaresque journey in the interim, through the playing fingers of Willie Clancy, Willie Rowsome and many others, fuels Power’s attentive and authoritative handling, which he describes as “large pulses of pressure between certain notes” and “an economical approach to playing”. Both his tune choices and playing style are stately and measured, with ample space to let each set breathe deep into the belly of the tunes. Power’s interpretation of slow airs, in particular, is a joy: Cailín Deas Crúite na mBó has that elusive lonesome touch that Martin Hayes has expressed so well on fiddle. A panoramic sweep of a collection. davidpowerup.com
For each ecstatic moment we must in anguish pain