Upload your tunes!

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

L42B

Post by L42B » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:45 am

Hi Tim

What wonderfull chanter work. Your chanter work especially the ornamentation seems very simmilar to that of Paddy Molony's. Especially your playing of the air Lord Mayo. Out of interest do you have access to the manuscript? As I cannot find the air on either 'The Session' or in 'JCs Tune Finder.'

Cheers L42B :)

Tim Britton

Post by Tim Britton » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:50 am

Thanks. Your assessment is acurate in that I did learn that version from Paddy Moloney, although it incorporates elements from Paddy Taylor the flute payer from Clare, deceased. I am not aware of any manuscript of this and would not recommend learning an air from paper anyway.
enjoy, Tim

PJ

Post by PJ » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:40 pm

Here's a jig on my Kiernan C chanter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PJ

dmahler

Post by dmahler » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:48 pm

Here's "Father O'Flynn" and "The Humours of Whiskey" on a D penny chanter from David Daye. Let me know what you think,
-Dylan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Calvin, go do something you hate, it builds character."

mayo_piper

Pipes

Post by mayo_piper » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:19 pm

Wow.

Nicely done. I really like the rythum of the rolls in your tunes - balanced very well. I play Fr. O'Flynn with a little more emphasis on the first beat of the measure. It's nice to hear a familar tune played differntly then you do.

Slan,
"Faugh a Ballagh!" Clear the Way!
War Cry of the Royal Irish Fusiliers

Tim Britton

Post by Tim Britton » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:01 pm

Dylan,

Since you asked for comments, I have some suggestions that you may or may not find helpful. Nonetheless, your recording reminds me of a few issues that I run into with some frequency.

You appear to be accomplishing your intentions quite well so far, but try slowing down. Of course, the speed at which you played is certainly anything but uncommon, and it is easy for anyone to get carried away in the heat of the moment, but personally, I would almost never intentionally play jigs that fast. I wouldn’t have time to gracefully explore and enjoy the unique rhythmic and melodic nuances that jigs have to offer, nor attend to the very deliberate phrasing choices I like to make.

I’ve often noticed that less experienced players, especially those isolated from older Irish music communities, typically play reels too slow and jigs too fast, by traditional standards, or, worse yet, everything too fast, at least too fast to maintain musical integrity. One reference point is to figure on the tempo of your foot tapping to be the same for both reels and jigs, and approximately the same as a normal heart rate. It is no accident that this regal pace also corresponds to that of a relaxed but steady march. It’s worth getting on your feet and trying it on for size. One typically taps once for every four eighth notes of a reel and once for every three eighth notes for a jig. This allows for a jig to meander along at a leisurely pace and a reel to drive forward with significantly more momentum, in a train-like groove. It often feels to me like all the nooks and crannies, and the phrasing they give shape to, are completely glossed over. My own take is that jigs especially benefit from being lit up from inside by having each and every note given a special place at the dinner table, as it were, rather than prioritizing the larger groove, the way reels often “like” to be played. Your relationship to the tunes you play is no different than human relationships, which similarly benefit from heartfelt attentiveness.

Regardless of how you end up “performing”, practicing at very slow speeds is always effective for culturing ease, stability, clarity of technique and creative and emotional expressiveness. A metronome is very handy for this.

Another often overlooked element, what I call “closure in the service of phrasing”, is covered extensively in an interview of me by Kynch O’Kaine, first printed in the Piper’s Review and currently available in the “articles” section of my website, http://www.uilleanpipes.com.

Much of this is in relation to larger common issues rather than yours specifically. I don’t know how much of this you relate to but I hope it’s food for thought.

Enjoy,

Tim
enjoy, Tim

dmahler

Post by dmahler » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:16 pm

Thanks Mr. Britton, I find your input very useful. When I listen to the recording, there does seem to be something lacking. Perhaps if I just play a bit slower, the expression will just naturally come out. Thanks again,
-Dylan

Tim Britton

Post by Tim Britton » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Dylan,

thanks for your receptivity. I would encourage you to take the initiative in exploring the possibilities that become increasingly available to you. Obviously, if you have the opportunity to get some input from an experienced piper, by all means, do so but you may be able to come up something yourself. One clue may be to ask yourself how would you sing the tune in question.

Incidentally, I rewrote my post to you and will include it in my articles section of my website.
enjoy, Tim

Tim Britton

Post by Tim Britton » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:35 am

and an udder ting! ;-)

by request:

My take on tempo is that a metronome setting between 82 and 90 beats per minute (BPM) is about "right" for either reels or jigs assuming two beats per bar as described in my prior post. Hornpipes sit nicely in the mid 50s give or take. For practicing as outlined above, you could start with a setting of half that.
enjoy, Tim

danepiper

Upload your tunes!

Post by danepiper » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:21 pm

Tailors twist and Corney Drews played on my Marc Van Daal fullset in d.

Regards

Ole

www.uilleann.dk
When the last note has been played
and the last word has been said.....
I will walk alone.......

Dan Turéll
Danish poet

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Upload your tunes!

Post by the plod » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:43 am

Hey nice Ole, very nice, I like the tone of your set. :D Sorry I missed it when you posted originally.

Jeff

danepiper

Post by danepiper » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:18 am

Thanks for the comments. I have trained a lot with the rhythm in this tune since.
I am very happy with my set made by Marc. Chanter,drones and regulators are working good and in balance.
About a half year ago I bought a Hunter/Lawrence chanter d-concert. And I must say that the 2 chanters are very similar in qualitet and tone. ( The Van Daal chanter is medium bore and dont have so much volume as the H/W chanter)
So if someone is going to bye at set of pipes ,without to long waitinglist ,I can recommend the work from Marc Van Daal.

:wink:
When the last note has been played
and the last word has been said.....
I will walk alone.......

Dan Turéll
Danish poet

Ed

Post by Ed » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:44 pm

Here's where I'm sticking my neck out. Song of the Chanter on
pipes and clawhammer banjo.

Used audacity to play a track on the banjo and then made a track
on the pipes.

Please let me know what you think?

.... Ed

dmahler

Post by dmahler » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:41 pm

Very nice! You have very good rhythm, something which I lack. I've tried recording multiple track on audacity, but have never gotten two tracks quite as in-sync as you have. Again, very nice!
-Dylan

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:11 pm

......plays the banjo and the pipes....... man's a glutton for punishment...... :mrgreen: