Upload your tunes!

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

outofthebox

Re: Upload your tunes!

Post by outofthebox » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:16 am

Ausdag - I've said it before - I really like the tone you are getting from that Australian boxwood. I know you said it is a very hard timber to work, but there is some Australian magic in there so stick with it.

ausdag

Post by ausdag » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:06 am

Thanks OOTB...yep, it's a real killer on the tools; high in silica but seems to produce a nice tone in chanter and drones.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/

Otto Kraan

Post by Otto Kraan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:26 am

Ausdag, I hereby rename thee ausomedag.

ok
Uilleann pipes: because you want to be stirred, not shaken.
www.irishpipertom.com

ausdag

Post by ausdag » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:06 pm

:lol: yeah, I can handle that lol...Thanks Otto
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/

Mairtin

Post by Mairtin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi guys,

I borrowed an Ipod while waiting on a new recording device to be delivered so I thought I would upload a tune that I learnt. Been playing...well trying to play the pipes for 6 months now, not really sure how I'm doing on them...but I am certainly enjoying the experience ...well not when I'm not messing about with the reed that is, so not sure if there totally in tune or not?

any helpful criticism's would be appreciated.

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:22 am

Mairtin - You are doing fine. One thing I would suggest is trying to ease back a little with your bag arm, and seeing if the notes will sound with less pressure. I think of bag and chanter technique along the lines of letting the notes go rather than pushing them through - if that makes any sense. To achieve this the bag arm needs to become more relaxed from the shoulder down - easier said than done I know - but something to keep in mind.

Mairtin

Post by Mairtin » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:18 pm

Cheers outofthebox

I just haven't really got used to using the bag and bellows yet, infact that is what's causing me the most difficulty, as you say I seem to be pushing the notes through. While watching pipers play on youtube etc: they seem to let their bellows go flat , whereas mines are always full or half full of air plus the bag is always inflated to the max? ( well most of the time ) depends on what tune I'm playing? I'm gonna have to start concentrating more on using the bag and bellows properly. Not easy at all this Uilleann piping lol anyhow Thanks for the advice outofthebox.

Cheers.

P.S. Hopefully that makes sense as I don't really know what I'm talking about lol I wouldn't class myself as a piper just yet maybe in another 10 years or so.

Otto Kraan

Post by Otto Kraan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:38 pm

Here's yet another tune with a reg key left conspicuously ajar at times (tenor "G" key). Usual caveats apply: poor recorder, lack of prep ya-da-ya-da-ya-da.
Set is K&Q B 3/4.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Otto Kraan on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.irishpipertom.com

Otto Kraan

Post by Otto Kraan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:44 pm

Honk if you love bitterns! There's plenty of honk in this sketch of the well-known air. Sorry 'bout that. I wanted to hear what an open A did for this venerable old chestnut.
www.irishpipertom.com

bensdad

Post by bensdad » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:02 pm

Lovely Bunnan Bui Tom.
I love the ghosty harmony at 1:54 and especially at 2:01.
Respectfully suggest you listen to Sean Potts' setting on Number 6. It shook up my playing of this one quite a bit.

Otto Kraan

Post by Otto Kraan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:55 am

Great stuff! Shook up is right. That track has been on "repeat" constantly around here. Sorry, family!
TK
www.irishpipertom.com

bensdad

Post by bensdad » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 am

Yeah, Sean was talking about the unfortunate tendency of some players to stretch out slow airs too much; too play them too slowly. His is certainly brisk. Funnily enough, do you remember I played my-setting-of-Sean's-setting when we were playing outside at the tylenol, and Bridget Fitzgerald (my revered critical gadfly) wandered over and said, "Very nice, but you're playing it too fast." "But I got it from Sean Potts!" "Is he a singer?" she said. Folly dat.

Nico

Post by Nico » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:49 am

I learned it from a singer, alas myspace no longer seems to work. If perchance it does, http://www.myspace.com/alisonfiddle/mus ... n-45843972.

I shall perhaps have to record it as well, in the other key sometime. Lots of fun, and nice chance to use different regs.

bensdad

Post by bensdad » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:34 am

Nice.
Finally found it as gaelige, which changes things somewhat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNmIDvit77M
And I guess we can consider Seán 'ac Dhonncha the béal chapaill (to coin a phrase).
Note the similarities between this and Seán Potts's in terms of pace and phrasing.
Note too that this suggests the folly of trying too hard to reproduce the syllabic structure of the singing when you play it as an air: if you did that precisely as Seán does at 00:42, I think you'd be instructed to remove the 2x4 from your arse.

Otto Kraan

Post by Otto Kraan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 pm

Go béal bunnán go béal chapaill.
Thanks for the info, Bensdad. There's an entire thread on this one tune alone, and no mistake.
www.irishpipertom.com