An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Forum FAQ, Rules, Info, & Upgrades

Post by the plod » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:34 am

Q: What does the forum have to offer?

A: A place to discuss any and all aspects of the uilleann pipes, piping, and Irish music. Civil discourse is the rule, no jerks

Q: What about buying and selling stuff through the list?

A: The members of this forum are scattered around the world. Many do not have ready access to the uilleann pipes or pipemakers. If you are looking for a set of pipes or are looking to sell an item please post the request to the list. Any negotiations should then take place off list.

Q: Can I advertise my business on the list?

A: Advertising or promotion of businesses operated by forum members is welcome IN MODERATION (ie no spamming). Business owners may post price lists, wait times, new sets, or links to online catalogues and ordering sites. Business name, address, and website information is allowed (and welcomed) as PART OF THE SIGNATURE LINE in postings. If a vendor or dealer can supply an item that is mentioned in a thread then they are welcome to announce the fact. (ie sourcing pipes, reeds, music, CD's etc.) FLOODING the list with multiple 'for sale' mailings is not welcome.

Q: Can I post files and pictures on the forum?

A: Absolutely, the images can reside on an outside server or be attached to your post. Also, try to keep image size to about 500 pixels wide whenever possible, I hate having to scroll sideways to see the whole picture. Some folks are still on a dial-up connection. I know... it's hard to believe, but until these luddites move up to a broadband connection limiting your image size will make viewing images much easier for them.

Q: How Do I put my marker on the Map?

A: Log in to the forum, go to your profile, scroll down to the Map section, and enter your coordinates or use the "find your coordinates" link in the map section of your profile. This will bring up a new google map that you can then zoom in to (as close as you want) using the widget in the upper left corner of the map. You can zoom in all the way to your street in some cases or you could decide to be a little more vague if you want, click the map then to set your marker.

Other Stuff to consider.

Posting to the forum
Posts should be on topic and relevant. Ask yourself this, " does my post advance the conversation or is it just drivel?", It's a waste of everyone's time to have to wade through pages and pages of chaff to get to the meat of the topic. The moderators have been given a fair amount of leeway in keeping posts topical and relevant. The moderators are not, however, a group of ''forum nazis". Their job is to resolve disputes, keep the peace, and keep it topical. If everyone plays by the rules their job should be quite easy.

Due to the faceless and anonymous nature of the internet it is quite easy to be a jerk. Childish behaviors, flame wars, personal insults, sophomoric comments, and condescension can be quite fun, but are not appropriate to these forums. If you must partake of such boorish behavior we'll take you to the mat for it. If you don't have something nice to say, then you should just sit on your hands and keep your mug shut. Above all, keep a sense of humor please. Face it, we're all a little nuts to be playing this thing. It'd be nice if everyone could just check their diagnosis at the door.

References to Monty Python are always welcome and encouraged. They are not against the rules.

Reviews and opinions:
Reviews and opinions of instruments, music etc. should be fair, and respectful at all times. Negative reviews(and positive ones for that matter) are welcome, but you must be able to explain your views. Just saying, "I think his pipes are crap" is not acceptable, saying "I don't like his pipes, because the upper octave is consistently flat" is acceptable.
This rule is NOT up for debate. You should think before you post. We would also expect that if the knowledge you have to share is suspect, you might think twice about posting. This should be a forum that focuses on valid information about real pipe issues.

Newbie pipers:
For many of the seasoned pipers in the forum some of the questions or comments posted may seem pretty basic. Please be patient. Some of the forum members may not even be pipers at all (yet) and may just have the good taste (and the cojones) to enjoy the uilleann pipes and Irish music.

Off Topic posting:
Off topic posting is tolerated to a degree. Remember this is a forum about the uilleann pipes. If you must post off topic then please put either OT or Off Topic in the subject heading so those who don't wish to read it can bypass the thread. If the topic strays too far it may get moved. Religion and politics are usually bad choices for discussion.

Other Rules:

NO SPAM. If you spam the forums, I will hunt you down and ...............
One final note
Please try to keep your hands clean, your hair combed and play like good little boys and girls. That being said, if you can not play by the rules, I will have absolutley no compunction about bumping your shaggy butt from the list.

FAQ updated 11 April, 2005
FAQ updated 23 March, 2006
FAQ updated 19 August, 2006
FAQ updated 7 September, 2006
Last edited by the plod on Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:43 pm

Hi folks,

In an effort to keep this place relevant, I have put up an event calendar

www.animavitae.com/calendar

Apropriate events would include tionols, club meetings, sessions, concerts etc.

you will need to register before posting events (this is to keep other folks from altering whatever events you enter without your permission), I will try to get your registration activated as quickly as possible - drop me an email if it is taking too long.

(added below)

I've received a few PM's about this so I'll try to clear it up again.

The calendar requires a separate registration from this forum, I'm sorry about that, I know it is a pain in the ass, however this calendaring software was the best I found for the price. One of the forum memebers is looking into how to merge the user login databses - but we are not there yet.

Once regsitered, I will need to approve your registration. I will check daily (if not more), however if it has been a while since you registered and I haven't approved you - email or PM me.

I am sorry also for the required approval process - no way around it in the software.

Jeff
Last edited by the plod on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Forum Upgrades

Post by the plod » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:52 pm

I have added a new feature to the forums today, a "save as draft option".

There is now a 'save as draft' button right next to the preview and submit buttons in a post that will allow you to save the post as a draft. If you save it as a draft, it will not show up in viewtopics when others look at the topic and will not be reflected in updated stats (new posts, number of posts) and will not appear in any searches.

If you want to see your drafts, you click on the Main Forum Index link and look to the upper right where there is now a "View your drafts and topics you have posted to" link that will take you to a page where with a list of your drafts on top of a list of your regular posts. When you click on one of those drafts, you can continue editing it and save it as a draft or you can go ahead and submit it for real.

Cool, huh?

Jeff
Last edited by the plod on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:58 pm

Also, just in case you all weren't paying attention before...... The following upgrades to the forums have been added over the past few months (none of which you will find over on the "other" uilleann pipe forum). :mrgreen:

1. Upgraded to the latest version of the forum software (most recent update 10 mar 2006).

2. You can now specify your Skype address in your profile and it will show up as a button in your posts (down by the email, www, and PM buttons).

3. Added a log in bar at the top of the page (only shows up if you aren't already logged in) so that you don't have to go to a separate page to log in.

4. Added a spell checker. When you hit spell check, it will take you to the spell check page, when you hit submit there, it will then be posted to the forum. Currently, it has advertisements on it, but these will disappear in a day or two when the "paid up" version is activated. To enable/disable automatic spell checking, edit your profile and find the setting for 'Always check Spelling before posting' and set to 'Yes or No'.

5. Moderators can now split or merge messages and topics

6. Added a cool MemberMap to the forum

7. Uilleann Pipe Calendar of events.

Jeff

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:10 pm

Yet another forum upgrade,

you can now attach images, video, and soundclips to your posts and upload them to the forums.

Images will be visible and audio/video will stream within your post.

Clicking on Download in the menu at the top of each page will take you to a flat (and searchable) listing of all uploaded files by thread and forum.

Supported file types include:

gif png jpeg jpg zip mpg avi pdf doc xls mp4 mov mp3

Additonal file types can be added by request.

HUGE video files are discouraged.

Tunes must be in mp3 format. You must have the legal right to post the material to the forums. Copyrighted material is strictly forbidden and will be removed if ownership/permission can not be guaranteed.

Examples of uploaded tunes can be seen in the Upload Your Tunes thread.

Examples of uploaded images can be seen in the first post in the Pictures of Your Pipes thread.

Jeff
Last edited by the plod on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:40 pm

I have added "first name", and "last name" fields to the user profile should you like to let people know who you are - adding your name is NOT mandatory, but it is nice to know who folks are when trying to put a face with a name and a screen-name at at Tionols (fr'instance).

Jeff

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:18 pm

As most of you know, the Pipers' Review is the official publication of the Seattle Irish Pipers club and represents one of the best resources in the piping world for all things "uilleann". Published quarterly, each issue is filled with articles covering everything from making pipes and reeds, to playing technique, history, interviews, Tionol reports, CD reviews, and much more. Now, in conjunction with the Irish Pipers Club, uilleannforum.com is pleased to present the Pipers' Review Archive. Access to the archive is free to all active subscribers of the Pipers' Review. Currently all issues from the years 1995-2006 have been posted in pdf format. Issues from 1979-1994 are still pending as the copies get cleaned up and scanned. They will be posted as they become available.

In order to obtain access to the archive you will need to register with uilleannforum (if you aren't already) with your first and last name as well as a user name, or edit your profile to add your first and last name in addition to your user name, once you have done this, PM me so I can check your subscription status and grant you access. You must add your actual name to your profile in order to be approved.

The Pipers' Review is published quarterly in February, May, August, and November by the Irish Piper's Club, P.O. Box 31183, Seattle WA 98103-1183.
www.irishpipersclub.org

Yearly subscription and membership: US$ 18.00, Canada $19.00 (US funds by Canadian Money Order), and foreign $22.00 (US funds only).

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:18 pm

I feel I need to clarify one thing regarding the Pipers' Review Archive as I don't think I was entirely clear in my previous message.

You must be an active subscriber to the Review (that is, a paid subscription to the Pipers' Review) to access the files.

www.uilleannforum.com itself is free and only the Pipers' Review Archive has limited access. Uilleannforum.com only serves as the host for the Pipers' Review Archive. You still have to subscribe to the Review in order to download the files.

Sorry for the confusion.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:30 am

A few weeks ago I modded the phpbb software with a script that prevents new users from putting in their website addresses when they initially register (you can add it to your profile later though) as a method of preventing spambot registrations. Believe it or not, it works, we haven't had a spam registration in over a month now. For a while there I was deleting 3-4 new spammer registrations at the forums every day. I'm sure they will figure out a way around it, but in the meantime it seems to be working.

Jeff

:D

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:50 am

New Member Map added, phpbb software ugraded to the latest version, and the website color style changed from the default phpbb style.

The uilleannforum.com worldwide member map has been upgraded and now fully supports the Googlemaps interface. This is a much more functional map system, you can zoom in, zoom out, pan around, change to satellite views, see the whole world or just your town. It's cool. When you click a member's marker, it will take you to their profile

Unfortunately this map is not compatible with the old map and thus you will have to add your information again. The good news is, this is much easier now. Just log in to the forum, go to your profile, scroll down to the Map section, and enter your coordinates or use the "find your coordinates" link in the map section of your profile. This will bring up a new google map that you can then zoom in to (as close as you want) using the widget in the upper left corner of the map. You can zoom in all the way to your street in some cases or you could decide to be a little more vague if you want, click the map then to set your marker.

Currently, you must be logged in to the forum in order to see the members' markers (the map will look empty if you are not logged in). This limitation will most likely be fixed in future versions of the map.

BTW if you liked the old map, you can still find it here:

http://uilleannforum.com/membermap/membermap.php

Let me know if you have any problems.
Last edited by the plod on Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:01 pm

the plod wrote:New Member Map added and the website color style changed from the default phpbb style.
Yeah, I noticed that. Looks nice... got some free time lately, eh? :mrgreen:
There are two ends to every pudding... -Cptn. Jack Aubrey.

http://flojoereeds.com/

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:00 pm

Thanks Joe, I just finished uploading the new theme. I wanted the format to remain familiar, but different enough to distinguish this place from the other two forums. I hope people like it.

Jeff

Bill
United States of America

Post by Bill » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:40 am

the plod wrote:Thanks Joe, I just finished uploading the new theme. I wanted the format to remain familiar, but different enough to distinguish this place from the other two forums. I hope people like it.

Jeff
Hey! I like it - very elegant, I think.
Bill

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:06 pm

Spell checker not working correctly at the present time, I'm looking into the problem. Will keep you posted.

Jeff

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:08 pm

actually sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't, if you get an error message from the spell checker, please let me know so I can debug it further.

Jeff