Tenor Regulator help

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

KelsoHighlander

Tenor Regulator help

Post by KelsoHighlander » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:22 am

Hey all,
Having a bit of trouble with my tenor reg. my "A" note keeps jumping up an octave. I've opened up the reed pretty much as far as it can go, and the other notes are now loud and flat, but the middle A keeps jumping up an octave with the slightest pressure (like anytime I go to the 2nd octave). I don't have anything on the wire rush inside, and I'm at a loss as to what to do. It's actually done this for over a year, but I have just tolerated it. My only thought is that the hole could be too small? any thoughts?

outofthebox

Re: Tenor Regulator help

Post by outofthebox » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:12 am

My thinking on this is that if a regulator reed is strong enough to jump an octave then it is too strong. I tend to think of regulator reeds like weaker versions of chanter reeds - so it should play nice and lightly, but should not support overblowing into the second octave. So if it was my reed, I'd be thinking of thinning the blades down a little. First close the lips down again gently with the bridle to where it seems right. Then thin the blades down with a piece of fine, well-worrn sandpaper. Take it easy - it may not need much adjustment. Maybe three passes of the sandpaper to each blade and then try it in the regulator and repeat until it is sounding ok. Another thing you can try is breathing on the reed - this can help make it less resistant. After you get the playing pressure of the reed sorted out, you can then think about fine tuning of the notes. But as always when working with reeds - take it very slow and proceed with caution 8) .

marc

Post by marc » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:52 pm

I have that problem with the D on the bari; it was suggested to me that I put tape over the hole that feeds air to the reg and poke a small hole in it. It should allow enough air in that the reg will sound, but not enough to overblow it.

I haven't tried this yet, but it seems a reasonable solution. I'll post something once I get a chance to try it.

tompipes

Post by tompipes » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:40 pm

Before you go scraping or sanding check these things first.

Make sure there's nothing blocking the reed or tone hole. Dust and fluff can build up over years and cause all kinds of odd tonal issues.

Make sure the other keys aren't leaking. That can cause octave jumps.
Totmmy

KelsoHighlander

Post by KelsoHighlander » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:20 pm

Hey, thanks for the replies. Marc, tried your idea with the tape and hole, and it worked perfectly first time; no octave-jumping. I was hesitant to be sanding the reed, as the other notes were just fine and I didn't want them to change at all. I did check it for any key leaks and for Dust and Fluff prior. You could write a tune name with that. "Fluff the dust" or something. Anyway, thanks all for the help.