Tuning issues

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

HendersonPiper413

Tuning issues

Post by HendersonPiper413 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:27 pm

Hello again everyone! I hate to be a bother but I have a slight concern! I picked up my chanter that I borrowed from my instructor two days after my first lesson and my 'A' and 'E' and possibly 'B' were out of tune! Sounded very flat! Is there a way I can fix this?? I heard that uilleann pipes do not read properly on an electric tuner, which I also tried and it didn't work! Anyways, anything I can do to tune it? And is it a weather change issue or maybe a dry air, humid air type of situation?

Best regards,

Thom

KM

Re: Tuning issues

Post by KM » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:02 am

Last edited by KM on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pipewort

Post by Pipewort » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:48 pm

You don't say which octave.

I think as a first course of action you could try increasing the pressure that you are applying, certainly for the A, and B - lower octave; if not the a, and b - the upper octave. This is how we generally distinguish between the two in written communication. It could also be true for the E.

Note that the e (rather than the E) should sound at the same pressure as the Back D (d), more or less by a smidgen.

Pwrt

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:55 am

I think you are right Thom - the flattening of pitch may well be related to seasonal changes in humidity. Apart from inserting the staple of the reed further into the chanter, you can also try to bring the pitch back up by strengthening it at the bridle - just by edging the bridle back a fraction towards the reed binding and making sure that it is supporting the edges of the reed at this point. As always when adjusting your reed - proceed with patience and great caution to avoid damaging the cane.