Page 15 of 18

Re: pictures of your pipes

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:56 am
by Mairtin
Halfset.jpg
Got my new Drones yesterday which will make a Preshaw Halfset...just have to learn to hold them properly and get used to pumping the bellows more often. not as easy as I first thought. sound great all the same. excuse the image quality.

Re: pictures of your pipes

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:53 am
by outofthebox
Yes - playing with drones is a whole new ball game - but that's what bagpipes are really all about 8)

Re: pictures of your pipes

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:02 am
by Mairtin
outofthebox wrote:Yes - playing with drones is a whole new ball game - but that's what bagpipes are really all about 8)
very true - I would have held the bag right up under my armpit, now I can't as it makes the drones to steep and I find it awkward to hold the chanter in a comfortable playing position. lowering the bag down towards my hip makes it somewhat easier to adjust the drones etc....but find it difficult to put pressure on the bag now to keep the drones and Chanter going, plus I have to continuously pump the bellows to get a steady drone sound without any wavering, something I'm not used to doing. So a new ball game is right, I expect it will be a right while before I am able to play these properly. something else to learn, not easy these pipes at all.

Re: pictures of your pipes

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:40 am
by outofthebox
Mairtin - You could try first playing only with the tenor drone - put some kind of stopper in the ends of the baritone and bass drones. That way you can get used to playing against the drone, but without using so much air. Then once you find your balance you can add in the others.

Re: pictures of your pipes

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:02 pm
by Mairtin
outofthebox wrote:Mairtin - You could try first playing only with the tenor drone - put some kind of stopper in the ends of the baritone and bass drones. That way you can get used to playing against the drone, but without using so much air. Then once you find your balance you can add in the others.
Cheers outofthebox and John I will try what you's have suggested. Thanks

Re: pictures of your pipes

Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:52 am
by DMQuinn
A chanter in B, done in Burma Blackwood, brass and water-buffalo horn, a.k.a. the Damascus Chanter

20
Image
80
Image
23
Image
74
Image
99
Image

Re: pictures of your pipes

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:52 am
by MHay
Beautiful work as always David.
I love the pronounced swirly grain in the wood. Is it a wood you would use again?

Re: pictures of your pipes

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:59 am
by DMQuinn
MHay wrote:Beautiful work as always David.
I love the pronounced swirly grain in the wood. Is it a wood you would use again?
Certainly. It's a member of the Dalbergia family, and seems to behave more or less the way other rosewoods do.

Re: pictures of your pipes

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:28 pm
by the plod
can you explain the name of the chanter? is it because of the damascene pattern tot he wood?

Re: pictures of your pipes

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:43 am
by DMQuinn
the plod wrote:can you explain the name of the chanter? is it because of the damascene pattern to the wood?
That's it. It reminded me of Damascus steel.

Re: pictures of your pipes

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:00 pm
by bensdad
What is that lowest key for? An in-tune E-flat?

Re: pictures of your pipes

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:00 am
by DMQuinn
bensdad wrote:What is that lowest key for? An in-tune E-flat?
That was the plan. It's only a little bit of correction, and as far as I can determine only practical when one has time to dwell on that note. Probably not worth doing on a regular basis.

Re: pictures of your pipes

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:48 pm
by Nico
It helps a lot on my B chanter - the "eb" aka ghost d fingering produces a pretty flat Eb, and the key brings it up nicely. With practice it works well even on fast tunes like the Beare Island reel. I think it's even more pronouncedly helpful in the bottom octave. But definitely it's much easier to not play it unless you have some time on the note.

Re: pictures of your pipes

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:42 am
by PJ
Beautiful grain in that chanter. Did you know it was going to turn out like that when you chose the wood?

Re: pictures of your pipes

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:34 am
by DMQuinn
PJ wrote:Beautiful grain in that chanter. Did you know it was going to turn out like that when you chose the wood?
Had an inkling, but I was surprised and happy to see the extent of the complexity as it was revealed in the turning.