pictures of your pipes

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

Mairtin

Re: pictures of your pipes

Post by Mairtin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:56 am

Halfset.jpg
Got my new Drones yesterday which will make a Preshaw Halfset...just have to learn to hold them properly and get used to pumping the bellows more often. not as easy as I first thought. sound great all the same. excuse the image quality.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:53 am

Yes - playing with drones is a whole new ball game - but that's what bagpipes are really all about 8)

Mairtin

Post by Mairtin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:02 am

outofthebox wrote:Yes - playing with drones is a whole new ball game - but that's what bagpipes are really all about 8)
very true - I would have held the bag right up under my armpit, now I can't as it makes the drones to steep and I find it awkward to hold the chanter in a comfortable playing position. lowering the bag down towards my hip makes it somewhat easier to adjust the drones etc....but find it difficult to put pressure on the bag now to keep the drones and Chanter going, plus I have to continuously pump the bellows to get a steady drone sound without any wavering, something I'm not used to doing. So a new ball game is right, I expect it will be a right while before I am able to play these properly. something else to learn, not easy these pipes at all.

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:40 am

Mairtin - You could try first playing only with the tenor drone - put some kind of stopper in the ends of the baritone and bass drones. That way you can get used to playing against the drone, but without using so much air. Then once you find your balance you can add in the others.

Mairtin

Post by Mairtin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:02 pm

outofthebox wrote:Mairtin - You could try first playing only with the tenor drone - put some kind of stopper in the ends of the baritone and bass drones. That way you can get used to playing against the drone, but without using so much air. Then once you find your balance you can add in the others.
Cheers outofthebox and John I will try what you's have suggested. Thanks

DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:52 am

A chanter in B, done in Burma Blackwood, brass and water-buffalo horn, a.k.a. the Damascus Chanter

MHay

Post by MHay » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:52 am

Beautiful work as always David.
I love the pronounced swirly grain in the wood. Is it a wood you would use again?

DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:59 am

MHay wrote:Beautiful work as always David.
I love the pronounced swirly grain in the wood. Is it a wood you would use again?
Certainly. It's a member of the Dalbergia family, and seems to behave more or less the way other rosewoods do.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:28 pm

can you explain the name of the chanter? is it because of the damascene pattern tot he wood?

DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:43 am

the plod wrote:can you explain the name of the chanter? is it because of the damascene pattern to the wood?
That's it. It reminded me of Damascus steel.

bensdad

Post by bensdad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:00 pm

What is that lowest key for? An in-tune E-flat?

DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:00 am

bensdad wrote:What is that lowest key for? An in-tune E-flat?
That was the plan. It's only a little bit of correction, and as far as I can determine only practical when one has time to dwell on that note. Probably not worth doing on a regular basis.

Nico

Post by Nico » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:48 pm

It helps a lot on my B chanter - the "eb" aka ghost d fingering produces a pretty flat Eb, and the key brings it up nicely. With practice it works well even on fast tunes like the Beare Island reel. I think it's even more pronouncedly helpful in the bottom octave. But definitely it's much easier to not play it unless you have some time on the note.

PJ

Post by PJ » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:42 am

Beautiful grain in that chanter. Did you know it was going to turn out like that when you chose the wood?
PJ

DMQuinn

Post by DMQuinn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:34 am

PJ wrote:Beautiful grain in that chanter. Did you know it was going to turn out like that when you chose the wood?
Had an inkling, but I was surprised and happy to see the extent of the complexity as it was revealed in the turning.