It's so obvious, why didn't I see it before?

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

PJ

It's so obvious, why didn't I see it before?

Post by PJ » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:05 am

Florida Joe started me thinking about it. When Vadar and Skywalker take out their lightsabres - the noise - DRONES!!! They're not lightsabres, they're lazer drones!! Now where can I get me a set of those?
PJ

djm

Post by djm » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:25 am

I remember seeing a piece about how the SW sound effects were created. Sound techs went out into the field with their digital recorders and sampled all kinds of things. The light sabre sound originally came from tapping the high-tension guywires on an electric utility tower, as I recall.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:40 pm

I've only just worked out how to set my laser printer to 'stun' - laser drones will take a whole new approach! :lol:
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.

rebelpiper

Post by rebelpiper » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:47 pm

pj, i just bought my 4 kids light sabres from toys r us.....if they sound a D im going to get my kids to just stand behind me when i play :lol:
Last edited by rebelpiper on Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PJ

Post by PJ » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:20 am

rebelpiper wrote:pj, i just bought my 4 kids light sabers from toys r us.....if they sound a D im going to get my kids to just stand behind me when i play :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one. No more need for regs either. Just get some lightsabres in G, A, etc and teach the family to switch on and off their lightsabres at the right moment.

Uilleann pipes - encouraging us all to have larger families. His Late Holiness would be proud of us.
PJ

Thistledowne

So.. on the lightsabre sounds and such.

Post by Thistledowne » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:00 am

The rise and fall of pitch as they are being swung... the toys as well as the real thing (*cough, hem*)... is that just dopplering?

I've noticed that it rises most in pitch when it's swinging towards your head just before it bounces down the exhaust chute.

Goldy

Post by Goldy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:46 pm

May I add to this topic that Joseph is one funny (and very strange) guy for posting a picture of himself in the Vader mask. I spotted the toy a few months ago and was eyeing it up (if my daughter was a bit older, I would have bought so I could play with it myself while arguing that it was really for her).

I tell my wife about the goings on and discussion topics in the forum and she thinks that we're all a bunch of nutters posting pictures of 'reed execution camps', stories of 'reed fairies', and discussions of what heavy metal tunes can be played on pipes. I think Joseph seems like a nice guy, but he's overly contributing to us 'Folkies' having the reputation of being a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic! :wink:

Goldy.
We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.

dropkick

Post by dropkick » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:09 am

Goldy wrote:May I add to this topic that Joseph is one funny (and very strange) guy for posting a picture of himself in the Vader mask. I spotted the toy a few months ago and was eyeing it up (if my daughter was a bit older, I would have bought so I could play with it myself while arguing that it was really for her).

I tell my wife about the goings on and discussion topics in the forum and she thinks that we're all a bunch of nutters posting pictures of 'reed execution camps', stories of 'reed fairies', and discussions of what heavy metal tunes can be played on pipes. I think Joseph seems like a nice guy, but he's overly contributing to us 'Folkies' having the reputation of being a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic! :wink:

Goldy.
Aawwwwww, shucks. :oops:
PJ wrote:Florida Joe started me thinking about it. When Vadar and Skywalker take out their lightsabres - the noise - DRONES!!! They're not lightsabres, they're lazer drones!! Now where can I get me a set of those?
You can get them at Wal-Mart... where I got my Darth Vader mask/voice changer.... right next to the Pipemaker's aisle.
There are two ends to every pudding... -Cptn. Jack Aubrey.

http://flojoereeds.com/