BigDog wrote: ↑Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:00 amHi Folks,
Here are the top 10 things I want to know:
1) How long is it going to really take to learn this wild thing?
A. Get up every day at 5 am and play for 2 hours for 3 years and you will definitely be better. If you are not then just give it up.
2) Where is the best place to find the fingerings for all the main notes and accidentals the chanter can play?
A. You can probably download a chart from the internet somewhere for that.
3) Should I start with Airs first or should I start learning all the ornamentation and fast fingering with jigs and reels?
A. Play the fast stuff first its grand.
4) How can I get faster at playing?
A. Play faster.
5) How do I know my rig is setup correctly?
A. Look at the dial on the drone stock. It should read 0 when everything is good.
6) How do I keep my rig airtight? What should I be looking for? How often should I be checking?
A. Just fill it all with melted beeswax and there will be no leaks.
7) How do I tune my chanter quickly and effectively?
A. I don't think anybody knows how to do that.
What is the best way to learn the pipes? I can read music and I have a good ear. I realize I have to put in the time to practice and live by the Law of the Harvest. I know it will take time. For the really experienced pipers: If you could go back and do it all over again, how would you go about learning the pipes with the knowledge and hindsight you have now?
A. Wow that was a long question.
9) The death grip sneaks up on me all the time. How do I stay relaxed in my wrists, hands, and fingers while I am working the bellows and bag?
A. Firstly check to see if you are dead. If not then have a pint or several as needed.
10) What is the best way to relax after experiencing the deathgrip without putting the pipes down?
A. See answer #9
I realize there may be many answers to these and will differ as much as people are different. Thank you for sharing your experience and insights with me.
An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:55 pm
- Real Name: Frederick Stafford
- Location: Somewhere in NY
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests