Squeaky Bottom D

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

seamusg

Squeaky Bottom D

Post by seamusg » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:57 am

Hello everyone,

I am a beginner and have had access to two chanters - the first one of which lost tune on the back D - but had a perfect Bottom D, and the second which is great on every level except that the Bottom D squeaks and gasps (as if not enough air is getting through to it). Is this likely to be reed-related or player-related, or both? Any hints welcome as it is really interfering with my practising (not to mention driving me mad with frustration).

Thanks,

- Seamus

Mr.Gumby

Re: Squeaky Bottom D

Post by Mr.Gumby » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:56 am

For starters make sure you have all holes covered properly.
My brain hurts

seamusg

Post by seamusg » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:56 am

Yes I am fairly sure I am, - though it is often hard to check "real time". I often go from E to bottom D and the E goes very easily (too easily) into the 2nd octave, - I wonder does this cause it - that it is trying to come down from 2nd to first octave? If that is the case any ideas what I should try? Thanks,

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:43 am

I think this is a case where the lips need to be opened up a touch with the bridle. If not enough air is getting through the reed to support the bottom D note you will get a gargle effect. If the reed is otherwise playing well just a very fine adjustment of the bridle may be all that is required - just a tiny squeeze at the sides might be enough. This will also make the reed a little more resistant in the second octave. As always when adjusting reeds - proceed with extreme caution 8)

PJ

Post by PJ » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:34 am

If the problem is a gurgling or unstable bottom D (all other notes are OK), Dave Hegarty's book suggests either the V on the reed needs to be extended or the throat of the chanter is a little too wide.

Before scraping the reed, or doing anything else that is not reversable, you should try the following:

1. Remove the reed from the reed-seat.
2. Take a small piece of paper (1cm x 1cm), roll it up and insert it into the throat of the chanter (just below the reed-seat). This will slightly reduce the diameter of the throat and may help stabilise the bottom D.
3. Set the reed back into the reed-seat and try the bottom D.

If the bottom D is still unstable, then the V of the reed may be too short and may need to be extended, or made to ressemble a U more than a V. If you're not familiar with reedmaking you might want to seek help doing this.
PJ

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:08 pm

before you do anything to or with your reed, if there is an experienced piper nearby, have them look a the reed and make sure that what you are experiencing is really a reed problem and not a new learner one. Hate to ruin a good reed.

seamusg

Post by seamusg » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:19 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.