Problem with Airflow

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

HendersonPiper413

Problem with Airflow

Post by HendersonPiper413 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:36 pm

Okay, so here's the newest concern i have, SHould i have to apply a great deal of pressure on the bag in order to be able to make a sound from the chanter! Ive checked the neck for kinks and everything, i wondered if that could also be too thick of a reed! If you could help me out that'd be great! :D

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Problem with Airflow

Post by the plod » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:32 pm

No you shouldn't but best if you could get your set to someone with some experience who could verify for you.

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:28 am

Yes - it could be your reed. Either the lips are too open - in which case you could very carefully try closing them down just a little with the bridle. Or the cane of the reed is too strong and resistant to your playing pressure. In that case the reed will need a little more work. If you are completely on your own you need to get information on how to go about refining your reed. This is not so easy for a beginner - or even for an experienced piper - but if you are completely stuck with a stiff reed then you may have no alternative. In that case I would suggest working very slowly with a worn piece of fine grain sandpaper - a little work on each side may be all that is required - but it is so easy to go too far. Another thing you might try is breathing on the blades of the reed, so that they take on a little moisture and see if the reed plays easier.

But your best bet is to find another experienced piper who can help you if you can.

HendersonPiper413

Post by HendersonPiper413 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:23 pm

Thank you both very much! I will see if i can find someone! :D