Uilleann Pipes chanter fingering chart for ALL!

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

pojemotion

Uilleann Pipes chanter fingering chart for ALL!

Post by pojemotion » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:31 pm

Fellow pipers!

I'm new to the pipes and was in search for a chanter fingering chart when I realized the few available online are terrible, so I wanted to share this chart I made.

You can download it here: http://pojemotion.com/work/Blog/Entries ... Chart.html

Please share and if you find anything wrong or left out, please let me know!

Yours,
Poje

Mr.Gumby

Re: Uilleann Pipes chanter fingering chart for ALL!

Post by Mr.Gumby » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:42 am

Fair play. Although I don't think the world was exactly deprived of decent fingering charts at all. Everything from the simple printed ones (Crowley, Rowsome, Ennis, DMWC, POPT) to the web based interactive charts.

You may want to consider how fingerings are flexible and can vary a bit from chanter to chanter and depending on the tone colour required.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Mairtin

Post by Mairtin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:55 am

Hi,

I am a beginner on the Pipes myself, 2 years....the Chart looks great and all that but it has left me somewhat confused. On the second Octave notes you have the "Top D" finger placement the same as the 2 fingered C. So how is it a "Top D" if it's a C note?.......Chart looks great and so does your other projects, very talented indeed. Good Stuff.

This Chart will surely add to the existing Uilleann finger Charts that are available on the Web.
Last edited by Mairtin on Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:58 am

So how is it a "Top D" if it's a C note?.......
It isn't. In the high octave the chanter plays third d using that fingering.
My brain hurts

Mairtin

Post by Mairtin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:02 am

Mr.Gumby wrote:
It isn't. The chanter plays third d using that fingering in the high octave.
ok I didn't know that....so to get this third D...using the 2 fingered C ...just squeeze that little bit harder while in the second octave on the C Note?

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:03 am

Not so much squeeze harder. Best to just run up to it.
My brain hurts

Mairtin

Post by Mairtin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:05 am

Mr.Gumby wrote:Not so much squeeze harder. Best to just run up to it.
ok Cheers Mr.Gumby....I must try that. Thx

pojemotion

Post by pojemotion » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks for the feedback! I based this chart off of info from the info in The New Approach to Uilleann Piping by H. J. Clarke.

I understand these things can change based off individual chanters and there are other fingering charts out there, but I needed to learn the notes and the easiest way for me to do that is to do something like make my own chart. Plus, I saw an opportunity to have fun and make it look nice.

billh

Post by billh » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:37 am

Mairtin wrote:
Mr.Gumby wrote:
It isn't. The chanter plays third d using that fingering in the high octave.
ok I didn't know that....so to get this third D...using the 2 fingered C ...just squeeze that little bit harder while in the second octave on the C Note?
To expand a bit on what Mr. G. said...

Firstly, all notes above second octave G require a 'run up' of some kind - at minimum, you must approach them from another second octave note, without a chanter closure in-between. This means that a second octave A, played from a closed chanter, must have something like a second octave G or F# 'grace' before it. With experience this precursor may become so short as to be nearly inaudible, but it has to be there.

The second octave C natural is not available on the unkeyed chanter. You can play a second octave B, and a second octave C#, using the same fingerings as the first octave (though often they are unpleasantly sharp), but the approach that produces C natural in the first octave doesn't work for C natural in the second. This is why the C natural key is often the first key added to the chanter - it is necessary for C natural in the second octave. I would point out that the Clarke fingering for the second octave C# may be sharp on many chanters, which is why I would suggest a one-finger second octave C# in your fingering chart instead.

From the one-finger C# fingering, lifting the F finger will produce a third octave d, under ideal conditions that is ;-). There's no point in forcing it, it's a finesse thing...

But before you start going above second octave B, you will probably want to learn off-the-knee fingerings instead, particularly for E, F#, and G in the first octave.

It's a very attractive chart - thanks for going to the trouble and for making it available. I would suggest one other correction: the 'ghost d' per se is in the second octave, not the first. If you want a first octave Eflat, generally you need to raise the chanter off the knee, so I would not bother to include Eflat in the basic chart.

- Bill

edited to correct a mis-reading of the chart
Last edited by billh on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:20 am

I would point out that the Clarke fingering for the second octave B is prone to be very sharp indeed, which is why I would suggest a one-finger second octave B in your fingering chart instead.
Wouldn't you say that all depends on the design and voicing of the chanter? It doesn't NEED to be that way.
My brain hurts

billh

Post by billh » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:43 am

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I would point out that the Clarke fingering for the second octave B is prone to be very sharp indeed, which is why I would suggest a one-finger second octave B in your fingering chart instead.
Wouldn't you say that all depends on the design and voicing of the chanter? It doesn't NEED to be that way.
I assume the OP is using a concert pitch chanter. Thanks for catching this - I should have said "one finger C#", not a one-finger B, as the OP's chart shows a three finger C# in the second octave. I mis-remembered this as a three finger B, which of course would be sharp on virtually all chanters. [I've edited my previous post to correct this].

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:56 pm

That makes more sense, mind you I have met chanters in my time that nearly needed a single fingered high B to get anywhere in tune but it did strike me as odd you'd take it as (nearly) standard practice.
My brain hurts

tompipes

Post by tompipes » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:37 pm

Firstly, all notes above second octave G require a 'run up' of some kind - at minimum, you must approach them from another second octave note, without a chanter closure in-between. This means that a second octave A, played from a closed chanter, must have something like a second octave G or F# 'grace' before it. With experience this precursor may become so short as to be nearly inaudible, but it has to be there.
Well, its a safer approach but with practice and a good reed you 'should' be able to get 2nd octave A and B without a run up.

Instructions in slow motion.

Apply necessary pressure to bag.
Start to raise A finger.
At the same time raise chanter 1mm slowly. (Well a tiny bit anyway, but slowly)
When note sounds replace chanter.

Taa Daa.

Obviously it needs to be seen to really show whats happening but here's the thinking behind it. If you go to play low D and have too much pressure on the bag you'll get a squeak.
That squeak is a harmonic of D that is very close in tune to 2nd octave A. So you are deliberately manipulating the chanter to make the D squeak and the moment that squeak sounds you raise the A finger and lower the chanter to the play the A note in tune.
Moving the chanter slowly is the key. If you lift the chanter fast you'll lose pressure and sound low D or get that 'bark' sound.

It's possible to get 3rd octave D without a run up too. Not the thing you'd need to do very often mind you but doable.

and a second octave C#, using the same fingerings as the first octave (though often they are unpleasantly sharp)
I have found that I had to use the C# and B fingers to get 2nd octave C# on my Bourke chanter and it was very close to tune, only a tiny bit sharp. (But that chanter was a law unto it self.
On my own chanters I have to use C# and B and shade the C# hole. It's just that if I shade the C# and don't lift the B finger I'll lose the octave.

Sorry if this is all to much Pojemotion but well done on your chart!

Tommy

billh

Post by billh » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:19 am

Tom, wouldn't you consider that kind of venting out of scope for learners? It seems like something that would foster bad habits if attempted too early. I'm pretty sure you're entering the second octave via the harmonic of the bottom d, as an inaudible preface to the A or B when you do that, much as you do when 'venting' with a right hand finger. I did allude to the fact that the preparatory actions mightn't be audible, but on reflection I would get rid of the phrase 'run up' in my reply.

For the third octave d I find that I can jump from F# or A by venting the C# finger a tiny bit.

- Bill

pojemotion

Post by pojemotion » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:55 pm

Sorry if this is all to much Pojemotion but well done on your chart!
Not at all! It's great to hear all of this and learn more! Thanks!