Low C Foot-Joint - Videos

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

gillis

Low C Foot-Joint - Videos

Post by gillis » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:02 pm

A while back some people suggested I post a video of the foot-joint that allows the playing of C below the bottom D to better illustrate how it works. Here are two for those interested. They are a bit rough (I'm not a seasoned player of the pipes). I hope to have some better ones down the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roxhNkZMB3c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voU-IHpU5us
Give us a tune.

www.foot-joint.com

outofthebox

Re: Low C Foot-Joint - Videos

Post by outofthebox » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:41 am

Looks and sounds great - now I can see clearly how it works. Does the mechanism work fast enough for playing dance music?

gillis

Post by gillis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:25 am

Hi outofthebox. Yes, a player at the NE Tionol was able to use it in a couple of reels at a good tempo.
Give us a tune.

www.foot-joint.com

djm

Post by djm » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:55 am

Well, I think it is f*king brilliant! Congratulations!

The only other thing I think you can do to stay the nay-sayers is to show on video "someone" demonstrating how the tuning of the chanter is not affected by the Low C Foot Joint. Start by playing a bit on the unadorned chanter, then apply the device while still filming, and then play the chanter again. Demonstrate that low D and hard D are not affected, that hard E is not lost, that ghost d still works, etc. Play on the knee and off the knee, with and without drones, with and without regs, etc. The idea would be to leave the b*tards no wiggle room to complain and spread lies about it.

Best wishes for success with this project!

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

gillis

Post by gillis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:55 am

Thanks very much for the encouragement djm and outofthebox. Those are good ideas for the next video shoot. Since the foot-joint opens up on D to the greater atmosphere, there are none of these effects on D. When closed, a stopper inside seals the bottom of the chanter, so no effects on E or any other notes.
Give us a tune.

www.foot-joint.com

tompipes

Post by tompipes » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:59 am

Genius!!

What a great innovation indeed. Well done.

Tommy

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:23 am

Have you thought about making them for 'flat' pitch chanters? I think that solo 'flat' set players might see the value of this foot joint more than D session players. I'm wondering if fitting key specific extensions to your extension might be a way to achieve this - so that it might work on chanters from D to Bb?

gillis

Post by gillis » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:25 pm

Yes I have thought about this. But I thought that there being many more players of concert sets, it would be more worthwhile gauging the interest there first. Interesting that you think there might be more interest among players of flat sets. Why do you think that would be?
Give us a tune.

www.foot-joint.com

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:03 am

I'm really thinking about solo pipers - of course D set players can play solo too. The C foot joint is quite a subtle addition in playing terms and I think it would be lost in ensemble session playing. But someone playing a set alone I think would really enjoy having access to that extra low note.

djm

Post by djm » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:58 am

I can see pipers being able to use transcriptions of music that they previously had to fudge. Many ITM tunes for voice or fiddle drop down to low C, and pipers were forced to plug in a kludge note. Now they can actually play the tune as it is meant to be heard.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

gillis

Post by gillis » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:57 pm

@outofthebox, yes that's exactly why a flat set foot-joint crossed my mind too, but I thought also it might be harder to interest the average flat set player (already hard enough). But we''ll see how it goes. I'd love to design the foot-joint for flat sets. It would be tricky because of the variety of pitches of flat sets, not all of them right on concert.

@djm, yes, you got it. That's what I think a C foot-joint (or a C thingy :wink:) could be useful for.
Give us a tune.

www.foot-joint.com

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:46 am

Is there a way that you can make the foot joint tuneable? I mean just to allow it to be adjusted up or down a little in pitch to suit a particular chanter. For instance I like to play my D set at A=436 - as it sounds better to me than concert pitch A=440.

gillis

Post by gillis » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:45 am

Actually, it is already tuneable. Inside is a plastic tube which can be adjusted for length (like a rush). Going down to 436 is no problem. It could go much further.
Give us a tune.

www.foot-joint.com

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:07 am

Does the foot joint fit around the lower ferule of the chanter by some kind of compression seal? Looking at the pictures I was thinking that it might be better (neater in design terms) to remove the ferrule from the chanter and fit the foot joint directly around the foot of the chanter. The foot joint would then effectively take the place of the metal ferrule ring.

gillis

Post by gillis » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:51 pm

It fits over the ferrule by means of an inner o-ring seal.

The foot-joint is not meant to be a permanent fixture, so the idea is for it to be able to slide onto the chanter no modification of the chanter, such as removal of the ferrule, whatsoever. It's proving to be a challenge to get some pipers just to consider trying it on their chanter, never mind telling them they'd have to remove part of the chanter first.:wink:
Give us a tune.

www.foot-joint.com