Sheet Music for the pipes??

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

HendersonPiper413

Sheet Music for the pipes??

Post by HendersonPiper413 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Well, i finally got my set playing good, i had to shave the reed a bit and now it plays with relative ease....But i have a question for whomever can help, Where can i find sheet music or tab, like they have for tin whistles, for the uilleann pipes? Im wanting to learn "I buried my wife and danced on her grave" on the pipes so bad and i was thinking if i had some sheet music for it i could memorize how to play it! Any ideas?

MichaelLoos

Re: Sheet Music for the pipes??

Post by MichaelLoos » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:28 pm

There is a fabulous thing called "google".
After only typing "I buried my wife" the second proposal was "I buried my wife and danced on the grave sheet music", which then leads to sites like thesession.org, abcnotation.com and others.
I doubt any other type of music is so easy to find in the web (for free!) as is Irish traditional music.

djm

Post by djm » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:56 am

As a beginner, you should have NPU's three tutor DVDs.

If you need a book the only worthwhile written tutor extant is HJ Clarke's The New Approach to Uilleann Piping book and CD. There are a few other tutors kicking about, but Clarke's is the most recognized and respected as far as books go.

Most pipers stick to the simple tune layouts provided in the many many collections of Irish music available in both print and on-line. If you are looking for spoon-feeding like what is available for rock guitar these days you are SOL. Get a real, human instructor, even if it is just for a few lessons. This is crucial in the first few months of learning UPs.

Beware on-line tune sources as the tune versions provided are often best guesses by other beginners. Look for respected books such as the five volume set Ceol Rince na hÉireann. The longer you hang out in the uilleann community the more you will learn what sources others are using - they are many.

A couple of UP books worth having are published by the Irish Pipers Club of Seattle: The Tutor, Irish Union Pipes, A workbook by Denis Brooks, The John Walsh Collection of Pipe Friendly Tunes .

This list is by no means extensive. I have a whole bookcase full of Irish Trad Music-related stuff. It is easy to get overwhelmed in the beginning. I have just listed what I think should get you started on the road to obsession.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

HendersonPiper413

Post by HendersonPiper413 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Thank you all! There is a pipers club that meets about an hour or so from where i live so i think im going to start going as much as i can to get some tips and possibly lessons!

maki

Post by maki » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:50 am

Don't hesitate to go to a pipers club!
Count yourself blessed.
My only regret is not making more mistakes.

Draighean

Post by Draighean » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:00 am

HendersonPiper413 wrote:Where can i find sheet music or tab, like they have for tin whistles, for the uilleann pipes?
Sheet music for tin whistles is playable on the pipes as-is.

I have a fair collection of music that I bought in Ireland when I lived there many years ago, but my favorite that I still use the most is O'Neill's 1001 tunes.

PJ

Post by PJ » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:03 pm

Draighean wrote:... O'Neill's 1001 tunes.
The settings in O'Neill's are not ideal for pipes. It's a good source of tunes but wouldn't be the best for a beginner.
PJ

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:43 pm

My brain hurts