What to play

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

HendersonPiper413

What to play

Post by HendersonPiper413 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:26 am

Im just curious im getting better at the pipes, im not a pro yet but eventually ill get good, but i wanted to know what you would reccommend playing as a starting piper? I play by ear that's how i play the Tin whistle and other instruments! I just wondered if there was anything that is good to play that will build up skill!

Thanks!

djm

Re: What to play

Post by djm » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:11 am

If you are this divorced from Irish Traditional Music (ITM) and Irish piping in general I would suggest you start off with the books and DVDs from Na Píobairí Uilleann. That way you could follow a graduated program of instruction intended to teach and develop the exact skills you are asking about.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

chazzyh

Post by chazzyh » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:30 pm

The beginner's DVD from NPU will keep you busy for a while! You might also want to try Heather Clarke's "The New Approach to Uilleann Piping." It takes a more liesurely approach to teaching, and there are plenty of simple tunes right from the start for you to enjoy.

CEH

PJ

Post by PJ » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:36 pm

You can access the free online tutor from na Piobairi Uilleann here.
PJ

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:19 am

If you play by ear - you can pretty much play anything you like. Don't feel that you absolutely have to play Irish music. A very good and fun approach is to play any tune that comes into your head. Simple waltz time tunes, for instance, sound very good on the pipes - or if you want to play a pop tune or a country tune or a jazz tune - just go right ahead. Many pipers get very hung up on technical stuff - and while it is nice to hear some of these chanter tricks it is much better to hear music played with verve and expression 8)

HendersonPiper413

Post by HendersonPiper413 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:24 pm

Thank you all very much! Ill give it a shot! :)