Questions about my New Set

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

HendersonPiper413

Questions about my New Set

Post by HendersonPiper413 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:17 pm

I just bought a new Practice set on ebay! Its made of African Blackwood, i was so incredibly excited to get it and i opened the package today about 20 min. ago I set it all up and start it up, I noticed one thing straight away, The Airbag was incredibly hard to sqeeze, i could barely get a sound out of the chanter and i was squeezing the bag as hard as i could, Is this Normal when playing the pipes or are they usually easier to get air through?? and i slo happened to notice that my Chanter reeds are cracked slightly, both of them that came with the package.......So i need to buy some new reeds, but the point of this post is to see if the air bag should require that much force only to get a little sound out of the chanter? any and all answers are appreciated!!

Thank you!!

maki

Re: Questions about my New Set

Post by maki » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:31 pm

What is the makers name?
E-bay is famous for selling Uillean pipes from Pakistan which are considered expensive fire wood.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1140&p=7830&hilit=p ... ipes#p7830
Not that good pipes are not sold on Ebay, but there are so many bad sets and n00bs don't often know the difference.
And too often they don't do research before putting good money on bad pipes.

If your set is not from a respected maker, see about trying to get your money back.
Here is a pretty good list of Pipe makers;
http://www.pipers.ie/makerlist.asp

Good luck to you.
My only regret is not making more mistakes.

HendersonPiper413

Post by HendersonPiper413 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:54 pm

Thank you for the Advice, i found that filing down the reed made it better, and getting the kink out of the Airbag! :)

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:57 am

If you position the bag so that your elbow is just behind the neck, you will find that you will need less pressure to sound the chanter reed. Good luck - take it easy and have fun 8)

HendersonPiper413

Post by HendersonPiper413 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:45 pm

Thank you very much!! :) One other question you might be able to assist me with! How do i get to the Second octave on the Pipes?? Ive tried and tried and i cant see to hit the second octave :?

djm

Post by djm » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:26 am

Your chanter reed has to be set up properly to achieve second octave cleanly. To hit the second octave you have to momentarily close off the chanter completely, increase the pressure by the tiniest bit, and then finger the note you want to hit if it is in the lower hand, i.e. e, f, g. If the note you want is higher than g you must do a swift run up of the notes, usually starting with f, but sometimes starting on the e or g depending on the reed/chanter.

You might want to consider getting the NPU instruction DVDs to help your playing along.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

HendersonPiper413

Post by HendersonPiper413 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:07 pm

Hmmm, okay! Ill give it a try soon, of course i think i need to at least be able to play it effectively first!! I think i am biting off more than i can chew, i can play a scale on one octave only at the moment and even then i havent mastered that, but ive only had the set for a week, so i need to give myself some time lol!! But Thank you sooo very much for the Advice, It is really helpful!! I am going to get a better set sometime, i just got a cheaper practice set so i could at least learn, even if i cant reap all the benefits of a professionally made set!! :D Anywho, once again, Thank you all so very much!! :D