Dust filter

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

outofthebox

Dust filter

Post by outofthebox » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:13 am

Last week I had a look at my drone reeds and found that tiny dust fibres had gathered under the tongues. So that got me thinking about fitting a dust filter to the bellows inlet.

To do this I cut a small piece of black mesh nylon (ladies nylons) and glued over the inside end of the inlet valve, so that the flapper closes against it. The piece of nylon needs to be loose enough to hang a little inside the pipe so that the flapper can close up properly. As well as preventing dust being drawn into the pipes, the filter also serves to dampen the sound of the the leather flapper as it strikes against the end of the inlet pipe.

ausdag

Re: Dust filter

Post by ausdag » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:38 pm

I think I read an interview with Liam O'Flynn (the piper, not the plumber) who said that he preferred bags which needed seasoning, because the seasoning helped filter out all the dust and stuff.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/

Mr.Gumby

Re: Dust filter

Post by Mr.Gumby » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:07 am

That is what I was thinking, a seasoned leather bag will trap most dust particles. Nylon stocking nor bag will catch the finest dust, especially in a house where solid fuel is burned for heating, or all fluff from woolly jumpers and it's well worth to clean up the insides of reeds maybe once a year or so (or sooner if there's a problem).
My brain hurts