New to the pipes- Practice set?

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

Ute

New to the pipes- Practice set?

Post by Ute » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Hello,

I have been taking Uilleann pipe lessons now for a few months. I have been learning on the pennywhistle, which has been fine. I have the fingering down pretty well now and can play quite a few tunes with ornamentations. I feel that I need to invest in a practice set to start learning how to pump the bellows, bag control and posture. I know that I don't need a state-of-the-art practice set, but I want to get one that is quality and playable. Does anybody have any suggestions of where I might find a good set? I live in Utah, USA (if anyone knows of a maker who lives close, please let me know; I haven't found any). Thanks, I look forward to any replies.

Mr.Gumby

Re: New to the pipes- Practice set?

Post by Mr.Gumby » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:07 am

Learning the whistle helps you get a handle on music, it helps you to move your fingers at will. It is not really a great help getting a handle on playing the pipes or even how to play the notes on a chanter, which are quite a different kettle of fish.

One would suggest budget sets by Pat Sky or Dave Daye in your case I suppose. Alternatively there's the second hand market. Like here

Dry place Utah. Not great for reeds. There's club there, you may want to contact them for guidance. Here.
My brain hurts

JH1984

Post by JH1984 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:46 pm

I got a David Daye half set and have really liked it so far. Dave uses brass and delrin construction, so it's affordable but yet the tone and intonation are quite good. I think it's a great way to see if the pipes are really for you, and then you can always upgrade down the road (i.e. a new chanter). Dave is out of Ohio and his website is www.daye1.com. Hope this helps!

Ute

Post by Ute » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I was getting info on a David Daye set, but last week my teacher brought in a practice set that he has and is letting me borrow it. It is an older set (from the 70's, he says) and I think it is a pretty good one. Sometimes I have an easy time playing up and down the 1st octave scale, and sometimes is difficult to get out a note! And I usually have to squeeze the bag pretty hard to get in to the 2nd octave (I've only been able to play up to the 2nd G), but I am sure that is all because of my lack of experience, and it will get better as I practice. I am very excited to continue learning the Uilleann pipes! Thanks again for suggestions!
If anyone has any advice for a beginner on anything, let me know! Thanks again!

djm

Post by djm » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:06 am

Ute wrote:If anyone has any advice for a beginner on anything, let me know!
Run! Run away! Before any permanent damage is done!

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

Ute

Post by Ute » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Hahaha! I can't run from the call of the pipes!

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:17 am

Hi Ute - Take it easy - better control will come with a little practice every day. Don't try to play whole tunes straight away - just work on phrases moving up and down the scale and with time and patience your chanter will begin to sing for you. All in good time 8)