Bag neck length ??? (newbie)

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

Roy

Re: Bag neck length ??? (newbie)

Post by Roy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:19 pm

Ok then, I'm sending back the "ASIAN" pipes...... and if a half decent practise set is only around £700, then I think thats the way to go....... or is it, before I do ??? :?
Anyone recommend a supplier through experience, something I dont have yet ?? Thanks
r O y.
Last edited by Roy on Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Hulot

Post by Mr Hulot » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:26 pm

Ok then, I'm sending back the "paki" pipes
Good and if only everyone did this Geoffrey and Co might get the message.

I started with a 'far east' set and it did me no good at all and was amazed at how easy by comparison a properly made and set up instrument was. I was particularly lucky having a maker very close by

Where to start: as has been suggested check out the links provided in a previous post for the list of makers on NPU and also the advice on getting a set.

Where are you as if we know it may be possible to point you to pipers gathering within reach where you an see and hear and maybe even borrow a practice set

Have sent you a private message

Mr H

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:58 am

Please amend your posts to remove the offensive language. I'm tired of having to raise this issue. Perhaps the moderators could keep a closer eye so that words which are regarded as racist are not used on this forum.

Roy

Post by Roy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:40 pm

Won um, and the "Asian" pipes are on their way back........... :D :D :D

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:01 am

Roy - You could just have called them the Geoffrey pipes. It is normal practice here to identify pipes by the name of the maker. Otherwise we could get into all sorts of deep water...

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:08 am

Are Japanese cars, Italian shoes and French kissing still in?

And Irish pipes?
My brain hurts

Roy

Post by Roy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:49 pm

outofthebox wrote:Roy - You could just have called them the Geoffrey pipes. It is normal practice here to identify pipes by the name of the maker. Otherwise we could get into all sorts of deep water...

Sorry, but I was under the impression that the word "Geoffrey", might upset someone called Geoffrey....... and so on.....and on.....and on.

:mrgreen:

Cheers, r O y.

MichaelLoos

Post by MichaelLoos » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:27 pm

... especially because "Geoffrey" is most certainly not the maker's real name!
Is there a politically correct word for things that come from "the-country-northwest-of-India"?

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:15 am

Pakistani pipes or pipes made in Pakistan - but it would still be better to identify the maker Geoffrey, Mid-East etc.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Paki

Equivalent derogatory expressions might be 'brit' pipes or 'kraut' pipes - would such expressions also be acceptable on this forum? Perhaps the moderators could make the position clear?

Mike Hulme

Post by Mike Hulme » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:49 am

Identification of these objects is not really important. What is important is that anyone considering taking up the Union Pipes should be aware of how bad these imitations really are. You get what you pay for, and insofar as these are cheap, they are not cheerful. Rubbish is dear at any price.

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:25 am

Sorry, but I was under the impression that the word "Geoffrey", might upset someone called Geoffrey
The Geoffrey name seems to have been chosen very deliberately with a view of luring people in who may have, at some point, heard half a pipemaker's name mentioned.

I don't think the real life Geoffrey is very worried.

He has the finishing of an important 3/4 set to worry about
My brain hurts

Otto Kraan

Post by Otto Kraan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:39 am

...And to think that I almost bought a set of pipes from these people!

OK
Uilleann pipes: because you want to be stirred, not shaken.
www.irishpipertom.com

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:35 am

I certainly agree that buying cheap instruments on ebay involves a high level of risk - so feedback, based on actual experience of these instruments should always be considered. And I don't mean the ebay feedback.

The main problem with makers such as Geoffrey and Mid East is that their craftsmen are making these pipes to a design pattern. They are not pipers. So whether the chanters they produce are any good or not depends first on the quality of the design pattern and secondly on the level of accuracy with which the individual craftsman adheres to that pattern. Reeds are another issue and the chanter reeds supplied are probably not going to work well if at all. So the buyer will then have to source a good reed - and only then will he know whether the chanter he has purchased is playable or not. This is not an approach that I would recommend to a beginner.

Mr Hulot

Post by Mr Hulot » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:49 am

OOTB Make up your mind

One minute it is
In the meantime you can work on learning how to work the bag and bellows and how to play the scale on the set that you have
Then a few posts later we get the change to
Reeds are another issue and the chanter reeds supplied are probably not going to work well if at all
So if you know they are not going to work well why suggest he uses them

Well done Roy you took the good advice offered by others and now have a proper set

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:33 am

It's good that Roy has got a better set sooner than I thought. So good luck with it - also I'd be interested to know if the refund for the Geoffrey set comes through ok.