Low C Foot-Joint for the Uilleann Chanter

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

gillis

Low C Foot-Joint for the Uilleann Chanter

Post by gillis » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:08 pm

For those who might be interested, I've developed a foot-joint that allows the uilleann pipe chanter to play low C without affecting D or the other notes: http://foot-joint.com/

Also see article in the December issue of An Piobaire.

Happy New Year.
Give us a tune.

www.foot-joint.com

outofthebox

Re: Low C Foot-Joint for the Uilleann Chanter

Post by outofthebox » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:53 am

Could you please post a short video to demonstrate the foot joint working as the chanter is played? I'm sure it is possible to get a low C with an extension, but I'm curious to hear how it effects the tuning of low D.

Driftwood

Post by Driftwood » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:44 am

I can't wait to see / hear this, Gillis. I can understand that you might want to establish some kind of informal copyright or "patent" via An Piobaire as well as discussion on both this and the Chiff forum. But really, in this day and age, public demonstration means a Youtube clip ASAP!

gillis

Post by gillis » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:43 am

Yes, I hope to be able to do this within a week. Sorry for not having it already. Poor planning on my part.

Outofthebox, the D is not affected since the end of the chanter is exposed to the greater atmosphere when D is sounded, as per usual.
Give us a tune.

www.foot-joint.com

PJ

Post by PJ » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:05 pm

Out of curiosity, why did you choose brass over aluminium and not brass over brass?
PJ

gillis

Post by gillis » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:45 pm

I did originally start working in brass but felt it would add too much extra weight to the chanter.
Give us a tune.

www.foot-joint.com

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:48 am

I think it's an interesting idea and like all ideas deserves encouragement. One thing leads to another - and so we progress 8)

PJ

Post by PJ » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:25 am

Have you considered something like delrin instead of aluminium? You'll save weight and the colour will be closer to ebony/blackwood.
PJ

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:13 am

Turning Delrin isn't exactly fun. Paint it black maybe?
My brain hurts

gillis

Post by gillis » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:54 pm

I considered delrin, but haven't actually tried it. The challenge there is that there is a milled out section on the inner barrel that leaves two 1/8" posts between the upper and lower sections. I'm not sure if delrin would be strong enough at those dimensions to maintain integrity (see pictures in article if you have access). But I might try it out. Or consider anodysing black as Gumby suggested.
Give us a tune.

www.foot-joint.com

LiamO'Flynn

Post by LiamO'Flynn » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:45 am

Considering the difference of different makers chanters ,I expect its not going to play an in tune C on every chanter so how is the foot-joint tuned after fitting ?

Liam
Liam O'Flynn the plumber not the piper .

gillis

Post by gillis » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:28 pm

The foot-joint will lower the pitch by approximately the same amount on any chanter. Therefore, providing the chanter already plays the bottom D at concert (or within 20 cents either side) the foot-joint will lower the pitch to C (minus 4-6 cents as per the pitch for C preferred on the pipes), regardless of the make of chanter. If the bottom D is not tuned at or near concert pitch, then the foot-joint, moving the same distance, might not arrive at C and the note might not be in tune with the chanter's scale. That said, there are fine-tuning capabilities. The low C can be fine-tuned by the amount of 'lift' off of the knee. Also, there is a built-in "rush" of plastic tubing which could be trimmed or added to for fine-tuning. These will usually overcome the issue of a bottom D not tuned right on concert pitch.
Give us a tune.

www.foot-joint.com

Royce

Post by Royce » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:58 pm

What'sit do to the second octave play?
Sigs are a waste of bandwidth

Mr Hulot

Post by Mr Hulot » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:06 am

As mentioned by Royce, Gillis = Headley with his seemingly pointless chanter end ferrule posting

This has been more fully examined here http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewto ... 9ceee0fc28 and the thread is locked and as per this thread questions as to how well it works especially with regulator playing remain unanswered

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:34 am

I will reserve judgement until I see it being played on a video - it may or may not have an effect on the overall tuning or tone of the chanter. That's why I need to listen to it. Not all up players have regulators, or use them, so that in itself need not be an obstacle to Gillis' foot joint getting some play.