Chanter case?

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

PJ

Re: Chanter case?

Post by PJ » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:44 am

ausdag wrote:What sort of damage might you be thinking of?
Apart from my pipes, I usually carry a tuner, a dictaphone and a metronome. In addition, I have a small cigar case with extra reeds. Occasionally I carry a book (O'Neills or Willie Clancy). That's a lot of junk that can fall on an unprotected chanter. As stated, I already use pipe cladding, but with keys coming, I'm not sure if that'll still be a viable option. Someone mentioned earlier that it is - only light pressure on the keys. I'll probably wait and see.

Thanks for the suggestions.
PJ

ausdag

Post by ausdag » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:54 am

Oh I forgot to mention...the 'clunk' is also the three tin whistles, a pair of long-nose pliers, the reed case, the notebooks, the plumbers tape, the coins from busking that I never bothered to take out, the condensor mic, plus the pipes and chanter all bottoming out in a hard wooden case. :shock:

I suppose one day I'll get around to providing a bit of padding....then again....naaah :lol:
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/

Kevin Popejoy

Post by Kevin Popejoy » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:00 am

PJ,

It may depend on your case but with mine, I have a piece of finger foam glued into the entire lid and a piece cut to the size of my chanters that sits in the bottom. The one in the bottom is tall enough that the chanters are sandwiched and stay put when the lid is closed. This set up has been demonstrated to work in some fairly knarly situations...like the time my case took a 3 foot drop to a hardwood floor. No little bag or tube, just set the chanter on the foam and close the lid. k

PJ

Post by PJ » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:23 am

I like the sound of that. I've already though of attaching something to the inside roof of the case which would hold the chanter.

If you have any images of your case with chanter in place, I'd be very interested to see them.
PJ