How many pipers are there in the world?

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

mallin

How many pipers are there in the world?

Post by mallin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:06 pm

I'm just getting started on the pipes. One of the more interesting questions friends have asked me, aside from "what the hell is that?", is "how many people play that instrument?" It got me thinking.

How many people on the planet are actively either playing or learning the uilleann pipes? Would it be possible to arrive at a rough number from adding up the number of registrations at all of the big tionols, allowing some adjustments for overlap and non-attendance? Has someone already done this? Or can anyone make an educated guess? Does it really matter? (so many questions...)

LiamO'Flynn

Re: How many pipers are there in the world?

Post by LiamO'Flynn » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:51 pm

There are 6000 pipers in the world.

Liam
Liam O'Flynn the plumber not the piper .

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:38 pm

Pipers or people who own pipes?
My brain hurts

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:34 am

I think that if someone can play one tune - however simple - then he/she qualifies as a piper in my book. Thankfully there are no certificates of competency required - at least not yet 8)

djm

Post by djm » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:17 am

Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

PJ

Post by PJ » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:38 pm

djm wrote:42
Now you've done it. The question and answer will cancel eachout out and take everything with them. The pipes as we know them will then be replaced by something vastly more complex and incomprehensible ... or has this happened already :?:
PJ

maki

Post by maki » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:08 pm

djm wrote:42
The answer is now 42.1!!!
My only regret is not making more mistakes.

djm

Post by djm » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:33 am

maki wrote:The answer is now 42.1!!!
Ha! Trying to baffle us with new math, eh? But it won't work! We're on to your little game, and here's a test to prove it:

The easiest way to catch out the new math is to put it to the test by doing conversions between metric and imperial units of, for example, beer. If I consume a metrical amount of beer it is a fact that I will not release the same metrical amount of beer. The amount of beer released will always be less. This is the imperial conversion. But how do I prove this? By consuming an equivalent amount of beer in imperial units, of course. Once again, the amount of imperial beer I release will not equal the amount of imperial beer I consume. Nor will it match the metrical amount from before the break. This is a well known and easily demonstrated fact. But can the new math prove or disprove this? Of course not. The new math doesn't have the capacity to contend with my inability to remain standing, let alone try and piss into that wee cup at the other end of the bar.

New math! Pshaw, I say!

djm

awilde569

Post by awilde569 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:35 am

If 2 + 2 = 4, and 2 x 2 = 4, what's the big deal about math anyways? :wink:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity

maki

Post by maki » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:25 am

djm wrote:
maki wrote:The answer is now 42.1!!!
Ha! Trying to baffle us with new math, eh? But it won't work! We're on to your little game, and here's a test to prove it:

The easiest way to catch out the new math is to put it to the test by doing conversions between metric and imperial units of, for example, beer. If I consume a metrical amount of beer it is a fact that I will not release the same metrical amount of beer. The amount of beer released will always be less. This is the imperial conversion. But how do I prove this? By consuming an equivalent amount of beer in imperial units, of course. Once again, the amount of imperial beer I release will not equal the amount of imperial beer I consume. Nor will it match the metrical amount from before the break. This is a well known and easily demonstrated fact. But can the new math prove or disprove this? Of course not. The new math doesn't have the capacity to contend with my inability to remain standing, let alone try and piss into that wee cup at the other end of the bar.

New math! Pshaw, I say!

djm
Dude, you lost me at 'math'.
My only regret is not making more mistakes.

djm

Post by djm » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:03 pm

djm