Pipes coming to Finland

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

Sackwhistles

Pipes coming to Finland

Post by Sackwhistles » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:55 am

Hi there all,

I'm living in a town called Jyväskylä in central Finland and I have been obsessed with UIlleann piping to the point of worrisome compulsivity for about half a year now. About a month ago I ordered a practice set from CJ Dixon and it will arrive likely within the end of next week. I've been haunting these boards for quite some time now, and I was not going to post anything until I actually got the pipes and really began to use them, but I couldn't resist (yeah, this sounds like an autobiography, I know :P .) Nonetheless, I have heard that the pipes should be kept relatively humidified, around 50% or so, and luckily the onset of spring has brought along with it, dare I say, perfect conditions for Uilleann upkeep with regard to reeds. I have been thinking that there is no way I could have my pipes in open air day after day, and so I was thinking about getting some type of hard case for them. Maybe a shotgun case or simply a second hand suitcase could work, with a humidity meter in position nearby and a humidifier/de-humidifier to regulate the air density in close proximity to boot. The spring and summer is ok in Finland for these conditions, however with fall and winter comes desolate dryness. If I'm on the right track, please let me know, and those seasoned pipers out there (whom I look up to wholeheartedly) are the greatest resource for a newbie.

Sláinte,

Tremayne
Oh the noise and the rout, swillin' poitín and stout

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Pipes coming to Finland

Post by the plod » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:29 pm

Well, Chris Dixon is up in Canada, so maybe the environment that the pipes are coming from is closer to yours than other parts of the world. My pipes really need the humidity about 60+ to sound great, 50% to sound OK and any less is all crap. But I'm alot farther south than you. It might be god to hook up with a Finnish piper (and they do exist) and maybe try to make a reed tuned to your local environment.

djm

Post by djm » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:19 am

We don't get too upset about the humidity. You need a winter reed and a summer reed. A humidifier conquers many ills. There are one or two Finnish pipers on Chiff & Fipple Uilleann Forum. You might want to ask there for what your local pipers are doing. I think that as a new piper you will have enough to worry about just learning.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

Sackwhistles

Post by Sackwhistles » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:16 am

Thanks for your prompt replies :D

Is it worth converting my already tiny apartment into a luthier's workshop and learn to make reeds? It's pretty tough to find Finnish pipers. They all live up in Oulu where they actually have monthly sessions. Apperently there are only at tops 5-10 Uilleann players in this country. :shock:

I'm determined to find them! Chiff and Fipple here I come...

djm

Post by djm » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:02 am

I don't know if "luthier's workshop" isn't a bit excessive. You need a desk or table top, a few tools and supplies, and years and years of patience.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

Sackwhistles

Post by Sackwhistles » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:41 am

Haha :) I think I have the patience for it. And I'm fairly good with my hands so I'm thankful for that!!

islander

Post by islander » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:58 am

Hello,

One Oulu piper here :) Why don't you come up here for a visit once after your set has arrived so we can have a look at the reed and see if everything is ok with it and get you started? It seems that winters are a lot more difficult with reeds that have been made abroad. I had serious problems with my first two reeds that were made in France and in Ireland, but after I learned to make them myself, there seem to be no big issues even in winter and I'm not using a humidifier. I believe that if you make your reeds dependent on one then they will always need that.. they will never get used to the natural humidity changes. But it might be wise for you to use a humidifier for this reed so it doesn't get messed up right at the start.

I use an aluminium rifle case to carry my full set around and it has worked well thus far. Earlier I had a smaller aluminium tool box for practice&half set times. I never keep the pipes in their case at home, they are in the open air and they are fine with it :) Don't worry too much, just enjoy the beginning, and as I said, come up here once. Are you aware of our festival and Irish music site? http://www.irkku.fi http://www.irmu.fi

Samppa

Mike Hulme

Post by Mike Hulme » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi Tremayne,

You could ask Chris to send you a couple of half-finished reeds, i.e. ones that need final scraping. In that way the reeds will acclimatise to Finland before they are finished, and will hold up better in the long run.

Sackwhistles

Post by Sackwhistles » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:37 am

Samppa, I will be coming up to Oulu for the Vappu pub session if I can find some accommodation. I might even try to play a tune with you guys (on whistle of course) :D My pipes will be there and I'd be more than grateful to hear some first-hand advice. I've never played in a session, but back home I used to go to my great aunt and uncle's place every month where they had house sessions! And yes, I was in contact with Brent Cassidy who sent me the link to the irkkumuusikki website. It's quite a comprehensive PDF file with all the tunes and stuff :) I'm looking forward to meeting you all up there.

Mike, I will definitely consider that. I'm sure that would be a huge benefit in my inevitable reed-making future!