Concert D set from Brad Angus? Anybody have one?

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

danielhorn

Concert D set from Brad Angus? Anybody have one?

Post by danielhorn » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:05 pm

Hi all,

I'm shopping around for a pipe maker to build some regulators for my Lynch half set (in D).

Brad Angus is one of my options.

I've spent some time in his shop - he made me a B chanter last year that I absolutely love. I really like the guy and would love to give him my business, and If I were looking for anything flat-set related, he'd be my choice in a heartbeat. However, I have seen very little mention of his work on concert pictch instruments. Does anybody here have such a thing or know somebody who does? Would love to hear any feedback you might have.

Thanks!
Daniel

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Concert D set from Brad Angus? Anybody have one?

Post by the plod » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:07 pm

Have you tried Mr. Lynch? :mrgreen:

danielhorn

Post by danielhorn » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:10 pm

Yup, Kirk Lynch is one of my options too... but not high on my list at the moment for a number of reasons: He has an abnormally long waitlist right now, his prices blow my budget, I don't care for the look of his recent regulator redesign, and most importantly he's given up making bass regulators entirely.

Also, the climate difference between KS and WA is fairly extreme. Having Brad just down the road a bit is certainly a nice point in his favor.

kmag
United States of America

Post by kmag » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:13 pm

I would highly recommend his D sets. I have a C half set made by him and D chanter made by him as well. Both play very well and without the chanter needing to be rushed. He also makes a few different styles but I would just tell him to make one in the same style he would make for himself. That's what I got and it's great. Just give him a call, he love to talk pipes.

Jarlath.I

Post by Jarlath.I » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:48 am

I play on an Angus Practice Set in D. No rushes and I have never taped a hole. His work is top notch. Although I have never played his regulators, I have never heard of any issues, plus I think if you wanted five regs on your set, he is the one that could make it happen. :lol:

danielhorn

Post by danielhorn » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:55 am

Thanks Jarlath and Kmag, good to hear this feedback. I knew I liked his work, and had certainly never heard anything bad. I actually talked to Brad last night for quite a long time last night, got him excited about this project... looks like I'll probably end up going with him.

Thanks!

Preston Howard

Post by Preston Howard » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Brad made me a D chanter and two regs out of boxwood. They are fantastic! His standard D chanters are narrow bore, but I asked specifically for a rowsome copy. I would highly recommend Brad for either concert or flat sets.

danielhorn

Post by danielhorn » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:43 am

Hi all,
I drove down to Brad Angus's place Wednesday morning and picked up my now-full set! It's absolutely gorgeous... Brad made me three regulators in ebony, brass, and boxwood, using Rowsome-like styling that fits beautifully with the Kirk Lynch bits I already had in my half set. The new regs have narrow-ish bores and sounded incredible in Brads hands, blending very nicely with my drones and chanter.

Of course, when I play them I get a sound very much like a sickly train... but a bit of practice should remedy that.

Anyway, thanks to those who responded with recommendations. I couldn't be happier, and would not hesitate to recommend Brad's work to anybody.

I'll post pictures next week.

Daniel

kmag
United States of America

Post by kmag » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:38 am

Congratulations Daniel. He makes a great set and I know you are going to be happy with them. I have a C half set by him and love it!