Piping tutor

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

marc

Piping tutor

Post by marc » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi, All --

Anyone familiar with this tutor? http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/product ... 37/150219?

I thought I ask opinions before shelling out 20 Euros....

TIA,

m

Mike Hulme

Re: Piping tutor

Post by Mike Hulme » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:58 pm

I think you would be better served with Heather Clarke's "New Approach to Uilleann Piping". The lessons are structured and the audio CD would be invaluable to a beginner.

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:45 pm

I wonder if it's a reprint of the 1970s tutor or maybe an updated version. The accompanying CD is a possible indication it may be the latter.

FWIW, the 1970s tutor was the one of few available when I started. The Leo Rowsome one was the other one I had.

The NPU on-line and DVD tutors should probably make the best current tool for distance learning.
My brain hurts

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:35 pm

That one has been around for a while now. You used to be able to buy it from the Armagh piper's club - not sure if you can still. I've always intended to buy it but have just never gotten around to it. Tiarnan O'Dunchiun is no slouch of a player (saw him at he St. Louis Tionol a few years back and it's written by the Vallely's. Certainly couldn't be any worse than the Spillane tutor and probably a a lot better.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:37 pm

The Armagh Pipers club takes you back to the crow valley link, they have a few other tutors too.
http://www.armaghpipers.org/apc/publications/index.html

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:47 pm

I see. It's the 1970s one so, un-revised. With a bit of determination you can pry useful things out of it (I know I did somehow) but it's on the same level of thinking as the Spillane one and there are better structured, more clearly explaining tutors to be found.
My brain hurts

marc

Post by marc » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:44 am

Thanks, all --

Heard from Kirk and he tells me I can borrow his and look at it, so I will. I was intrigued at the CD though -- "no slouch" is a wee bit of understating, don't ya think, Jeff???

Anyway, thanks again. I've got the HJ Clarke tutor, but I thought it might be good to look at another.

Cheers!

m