Newbie to U Pipes.....

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

Bonnie

Newbie to U Pipes.....

Post by Bonnie » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi All,
A total newbie to U Pipes.........could you please let me know if these would be a good buy, do they have everything I would need? Are they a good brand?

Thanks!

:D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IRISH-UILLEANN-PR ... 1576551658

Mr.Gumby

Re: Newbie to U Pipes.....

Post by Mr.Gumby » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:05 pm

Run!

Not worth looking at, in other words.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:07 pm

Run from the pipes.........or run from learning how to play the pipes?.... :shock:

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:11 pm

oh.........ok...........thanks, back to the drawing board. :(

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:14 pm

This one seems genuine and is made in Scotland......

What are your (experienced!) thoughts?

Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UILLEANN-PRACTICE ... 1509520397

Mr Hulot

Post by Mr Hulot » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:58 pm

Better to go to an established maker where you should get backup and also have a set that can be easily upgraded.

Only buy from Ebay if the set is by a known maker from the UK, USA or Europe - avoid anything from the far east such as anything labeled as Geoffrey and beware sets labeled as 'Irish' if there is no makers name regardless of what the blurb says. Post here if uncertain

If it is cheap then there is a reason for this and it may well not be the bargain you expect. A basic practice set from a known maker will be at least £500.00 and often quite a bit more a

Where abouts are you

Check your PM's

Mr H

billh

Post by billh » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:04 pm

Avoid eBay unless you are already very experienced (I would recommend avoiding it even then)...

Be prepared to spend considerable time searching and researching before spending money on a practice set of uilleann pipes. Suitable sets are scarce, and bargains are almost without exception not bargains, if you catch my meaning. £1000 is more like what you'd expect to spend for a quality new practice set. A good one is upgradeable, and will hold its value. A poor or mediocre one will probably not.

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:34 pm

We probably could add Australia to Mr. Hulot's list of locations although in fairness location in pipemaking doesn't carry the same weight as it does in real estate. Plenty of makers anywhere that wouldn't make it onto the recommended list.

in the meantime you could do worse than reading the faq s like this one on this forum and the C&F piping forum, especially the ones regarding beginners.

Na Piobairi Uilleann is also a fine source of information.

When buying pipes, get advice from an experienced piper you trust. Ideally, let him/her try the pipes so you are certain you have a working instrument.
My brain hurts

chris bayley

Post by chris bayley » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:19 pm

As everyone says beware Ebay as it is a minefield with misleading descriptions of pipes made in the East. As Bill says you are looking at spending considerably more than the sets on Ebay

As Mr H asks, where are you located as advice is easier to give if we know where you are. Suggestion would be to go to a Pipers Club, Tional or session if possible to get an idea of what the instrument is really like live and to see and hear insruments by as many makers as possible

Some pipers clubs have sets for loan to beginners so you can get a feel for whether the instrument is for you or not

As Mr G says, the NPU site and C&F forums have lots of useful information

Chris
New Website now live at http://www.uilleann-pipes.co.uk. It is still under construction with more to be added
My original website http://www.bagpipeworld.co.uk remains in place as historical

jwpipes66

Post by jwpipes66 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:46 am

hi, if you're close enough to manchester then contact the nwup about a loan set. you'll get good advice & tuition from there too.
good luck, jonathan.

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » Sat May 14, 2011 11:27 am

Hi sorry for the length of time to reply :oops:

i'm in the UAE so there is absolutely nowhere close by. I'll be in Inverness in the summer though and would love to buy a set. Does anybody know where a good shop is there?
thanks!~ :D

djm

Post by djm » Sun May 15, 2011 5:58 am

UPs are not sold in shops. They are individually made by artisans. If it's a set of UPs in a shop it will most likely be the same crap you find on eBay. What you want to do is to either arrange for purchase through a pipemaker (check the list at NPU) or arrange to purchase a used set either here at Uilleann Forum or over on Uilleann Obsession.

Did you at all read the FAQ thread here or on any other UP sites? All this information has been given many many times.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes