Regulator Right Hand Position

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

hpinson

Regulator Right Hand Position

Post by hpinson » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:26 am

I feel I'm learning 3/4 set regulators by braille-- no idea if I'm positioning my hand correctly. Can anyone comment?

I'm trying to keep my right hand as parallel as possible, and positioned over the (from tenor to baritone) A-F# keys. I use the right heel of my hand for lower note chords in kind of a downward mashing action (F#-D and G-D), the heel of the thumb for middle notes (A-F#, B-G), and the lower left side of my thumb for the upper notes (C Nat - A). This last thumb position is more or a horizontal movement than vertical.

Is this even close to being correct?

outofthebox

Re: Regulator Right Hand Position

Post by outofthebox » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:59 am

Sounds similar to how I play regulators (or at least try to 8) ) I align the prominent wrist bone on the little finger side of my hand right over the baritone F# key - I don't try to keep my hand parallel. It kind of slants naturally back towards the G tenor key. That seems to be the best position from which I can then access all keys with minimum movement - apart from the tenor F# which is always a bigger stretch. I've been working quite a bit on the best way to sit and hold the chanter relative to the positioning of the stock. If I can get the stock to stay exactly where I want it, I reckon that would make things a whole lot easier - at an ergonomic level at least.

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:09 pm

My brain hurts

hpinson

Post by hpinson » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:23 pm

Yes, that is almost identical to the strap I use, though the mainstock sits much lower that the player in this video, on Paddy Keenan's advice-- flatter in the lap.

Would Mr. Laban's regulator playing hand position be considered proper? He really seems only to using the left heel of his hand, and is moving about quite a bit.

I've noticed too that mainstock positioning seems to sort itself out with a full set. I have a 3/4 set, and it seems a little more variable.

I've looked at videos of Elliot Grasso, who perfers a 3/4 set (I understand) but from these it has not been obvious to me how hands are arranged in terms of regulators.

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:43 pm

Would this mans regulator playing hand position be considered proper? He really seems only to using the left heel of his hand, and is moving about quite a bit.
Ah no, he's shite at it.
My brain hurts

hpinson

Post by hpinson » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:17 pm

Always appreciate the smartass answer. Thanks.

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:45 pm

hpinson wrote:Always appreciate the smartass answer. Thanks.
They're hard to resist aren't they?

a different angle then

As you see, the shoulder strap let's you pull the pipes closer when reaching for the lowest chord, which is helpful, especially on the flat sets.
My brain hurts

hpinson

Post by hpinson » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Well anyway, that video is very helpful.

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:55 am

If it works, it works 8) Every piper who uses regulators has to work out a playing posture which is pretty much bespoke. I prefer not to use a shoulder strap, but I can see how it can be of great assistance, as the video illustrates when playing a longer set of pipes where the stock has been placed high up on the bag. Of course the olden times option of playing with right leg crossed over is also worthy of consideration.

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:37 am

Of course the olden times option of playing with right leg crossed over is also worthy of consideration.
While there's no harm in consideration, the 'right leg crossed' in practice makes it very hard indeed to play the regulators on a set like the one in the video and should be rejected for that reason.
My brain hurts

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:25 am

I'm enjoying this thread. I found a nice clip to illustrate Paddy Keenan's approach to regulator playing 8) - though I would like to see it from the other sideways on angle also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l31kws1o ... re=related

hpinson

Post by hpinson » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:37 pm

Good to see both approaches.

On Paddy's advice I constructed a bag with the mainstock set very low, so that the regs sit almost flat on the lap-- as you can see in the above video.

I've also tried the strap, on a bag with the mainstock set much higher.

Playing a 3/4 set it all seems more comfortable (for me) using Paddy's approach, though the strap allowed a bit of pulling the regulators into this position or that. They keywork on Paddys regualtors is very smooth and flat allowing fairly effortless moves between notes. Keys on my set are a bit more of an ornate Coyne style and not so flat, and I feel I get hung up a bit moving between keys.

Still sorting it out.

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:25 am

I've been aiming at getting more freedom of movement and bounce, so that my right hand moves in more of an arc, dropping down on the keys, rather than leaning in too close. The D regulator key is the one that seems to give me most problems - it may be a reed problem in part - but unless I strike it just right and at just the right pressure it won't sound properly. I can get it ok most of the time as a single note, but much more difficult when playing the chords with G and F# tenor. Something I'll just have to keep working on...