Taylor Made Pipes

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

sodonnell

Taylor Made Pipes

Post by sodonnell » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:22 pm

A set of pipes have been handed down to me from my grandfather. I have done some research and believe they may be a Taylor made set of pipes or Taylor style. The story handed down was these pipes were made by my grandfathers brother in Ireland. Are the Taylor Brothers still operational in Philadelphia. Any leads as to how one may verify who made these pipes, etc. My great uncles name is stamped on a section of the pipes (J. ODONNELL) as well as J.O.D stamped on some register/regulators. Any help would be greatly received.
DSCN1761.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PJ

Re: Taylor Made Pipes

Post by PJ » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Great to see that the instrument is staying in the family. Can you post more photos of your set? Particularly the chanter and regulators (and the underneath and sides of the regulators if possible). The regulator keys are in the style of the Taylor brother (maybe a little wide, though). However, the chanter doesn't look like what is generally considered "Tayloresque".

To learn about the Taylor brothers (who ceased making in the 1890's) go to the following link and scroll down about half the page (or search "Taylor"):

http://billhaneman.ie/IMM/IMM-XVI.html

The Taylor brothers certainly made uilleann pipes in New York and Philly and maybe also in Drogheda (before leaving Ireland). However, they may have made as few as 30 sets of uilleann pipes in their entire career. At the following link you will find more information about the Taylor sets:

http://steampacket.ownit.nu/taylor.html

David Quinn knows more than most about Taylor pipes and he occasionally posts on this forum. Maybe he'll chime in.

Edited to add:

Here are some photos of one of the Taylor sets that belonged to Patsey Touhy:

http://source.pipers.ie/Media.aspx?medi ... goryId=104
PJ

nwhitmer

Post by nwhitmer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:43 am

A nice-looking old set & you are lucky to have it. Looks to be in good shape too, not knocked about.

I am no expert. But over the years I have heard of several men who, before 1960, made pipes in the Taylor style. Patsy Brown, Pat Hennelly, Michael Carney, James Brennan, perhaps Joseph Smith. There are probably others. And there are sets kicking around of which little is known.

One such, with pictures, is listed here http://www.uilleannobsession.com/classifieds.html#97. Note that the maker of the chanter is known, but the maker of the drones and regulators is not.

One frustrating thing about all this is that it was very much the exception for a maker to mark his creations. We will never know the background of many sets. In this respect you are better off than many.

Where and when did your great uncle and grandfather live?

Nick Whitmer

Ted

Post by Ted » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:20 am

Does not look like Taylor to me. I am trying to recall where I have seen that key shape before.

Otto Kraan

Post by Otto Kraan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:51 am

Reg end caps are turned much like the ones on the set offered on Obsession.

Ok
Uilleann pipes: because you want to be stirred, not shaken.
www.irishpipertom.com

PJ

Post by PJ » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:02 pm

Ted wrote:Does not look like Taylor to me. I am trying to recall where I have seen that key shape before.
A Taylor-esque set appeared on the C&F in 2006. Pat D'Arcy has photos of it on his website in the 2006 Diary (about three-quarters of the way down the page). Here's a photo:

I see some similarity in the shape of the keys and maybe also the reed cap on the bass reg and end of the regulators, but there really are not enough photos of this new set to make any sort of a reasonable identification.
PJ

bensdad

Post by bensdad » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:41 am

Can I have some of what you're on?

Mr Hulot

Post by Mr Hulot » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:07 am

A set of pipes have been handed down to me from my grandfather. I have done some research and believe they may be a Taylor made set of pipes or Taylor style. The story handed down was these pipes were made by my grandfathers brother in Ireland. Are the Taylor Brothers still operational in Philadelphia. Any leads as to how one may verify who made these pipes, etc. My great uncles name is stamped on a section of the pipes (J. ODONNELL) as well as J.O.D stamped on some register/regulators. Any help would be greatly received.

DSCN1761.JPG
DSCN1761.JPG (141.37 KiB) Viewed 218 times
How do I get to see the pictures ?

By nice if all the historic sets that turn up are photographed for NPU's "Source" section with perhaps a brief description. Suspect a number of makers have photographs of old sets that have been in for reeds and fettling have they been contacted for copies ?

djm

Post by djm » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:49 am

Mr Hulot wrote:How do I get to see the pictures ?
The file was originally loaded here on Uilleann Forum but appears to have been removed, possibly by the owner. I am getting the following message from the server:

The selected attachment does not exist anymore.
The file ./../files/2139_e372caf0238ed6643b58f843bb71dfa6 does not exist.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes