Pipers in Central Texas

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

dow

Pipers in Central Texas

Post by dow » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Are there any of you out there? I know that there used to be an Austin uilleann pipers club, but I can't seem to find any trace of them now. Anyone in San Antonio?

Thanks,
Dow
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.

texasbagpiper

Re: Pipers in Central Texas

Post by texasbagpiper » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:06 pm

I'm in Arlington. Also, their are a few pipers in the DFW area but they are few and far between. Come to the O'Flaherty Irish Music Retreat in Midlothian TX. http://www.oflahertyretreat.org/ Cheers, Seth Hamon

dow

Post by dow » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:00 pm

Thanks, Seth. I've got some friends who wen to O'Flaherty's last year and said that it was great. I doubt that I'll get to go this year, what with football season and my son playing in the band and the new baby and all, but I'll keep it in mind.

Anybody else in this part of the world?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.

jmario666

Post by jmario666 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:45 am

Hello Dow,

Hopefully you check this forum from time to time. There is still an Austin Pipers' Club, hosted by Dave Polacheck in South Austin (usually). His e-mail address is kpolacheck@mail.utexas.edu, so you can get on the e-mail list for announcements. They had talked about setting up a Facebook group, but I did not sign up for that listing.
The number of pipers had dwindled in the last few years, but I hear they have picked up around 3 new regulars since I last attended in 2010. I have since moved to The Philippines, so I cannot regularly attend meetings. They are a good group and got me hooked on piping back in 2003-2004 and have still been squeezing out some tunes. They will be able to help answer questions about pipe maintenance, making tune sets, reed making, and reed adjustments.

Another good resource is the Fiddler's Green Music store in Austin. http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.com/ They have an Irish jam session every month and have concerts with local and Irish trad musicians (I saw Kevin Burke do a great show with only about 15 others in the entire audience). They also get the musicians to do lessons/workshops.
Also, be sure to look out for the Austin Celtic Fest on the first weekend of November. Last year they had Paddy Keenan, and I so wished I was still in Austin for that one. Even was tempted to fly back.

Good luck on the pipes and your other instruments.
Mario