Martin Preshaw pipes

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

Mairtin

Martin Preshaw pipes

Post by Mairtin » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:46 am

Hi everyone

I am thinking of buying a practice set of Martin's pipes, I am wondering what people think about his pipes ie: sound? quality ? etc:.....I was priced £1000 for them with a 4 months waiting list....

I have never played the pipes before, but love listening to them (Davy Spillane etc:) so i have decided to take them up and hopefully be able to play a few tunes "hopefully"

Also i am just curious to know if there is anyone here from Belfast, Ireland, and is there any piping classes someone of my age 37 could go to, to learn the pipes?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mairtin.

outofthebox

Re: Martin Preshaw pipes

Post by outofthebox » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:29 am

In general it is a good idea to listen to chanters from a range of makers, so that you can decide on the sound that you like best. There is a great deal of difference in chanter sound from one maker to another and in the end, as you will be playing the instrument, your choice should come down to personal preference rather than recommendation of others. There are a lot of sound files available on the net, both at makers websites and on youtube. Take your time - listen to as many as possible before you decide to buy. Also don't forget about the second hand market - good practice sets often come up for sale with the advantage of no waiting time. But again - listen closely to the chanter - and only buy it if you really like the tone.

Mairtin

Post by Mairtin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:40 am

Thanks for your reply outofthebox, very usefull information and advice

I have listned to a right few chanter sounds on the net etc: and your right there is a large variation of sounds from different makers, I have searched this forum and others regarding Martin Preshaw's pipes ( a few links below ) and as one poster said "I have never heard anything bad about Martins pipes". so on that information I think i will order a set from him and hopefully through time i will be able to play a few tunes. again outofthebox thanks for your advice.

Mairtin

http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewto ... cd252ac7cf

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=227

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:56 am

I think you'll be OK with Preshaw pipes, I've never heard anything bad about him or his pipes at all. :D

Mairtin

Post by Mairtin » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:32 am

Thanks plod.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:44 am

where are you located?

Mairtin

Post by Mairtin » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:52 am

just outside belfast, Ireland......u?

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:16 pm

Kansas City (direct middle of the USA), I was asking because it is a good idea to get a set from a maker near where you live - makes it a lot easier when it comes to re-reeding, repairs, aditions etc.

Jeff

hpinson

Post by hpinson » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:03 pm

Martin has been adding quite a few recordings to his website. Have you listened to any of these?

http://martinpreshaw.com/sounds.htm

LiamO'Flynn

Post by LiamO'Flynn » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:51 pm

His website says he 's not taking orders for practice sets.

Liam
Liam O'Flynn the plumber not the piper .

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:38 am

Maybe it's a one-off. £1000 for a practice set did seem a bit high to me.

Mairtin

Post by Mairtin » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:51 pm

the plod wrote:Kansas City (direct middle of the USA), I was asking because it is a good idea to get a set from a maker near where you live - makes it a lot easier when it comes to re-reeding, repairs, aditions etc.

Jeff

100%, having searched the internet (for about a month) and asking people about Martin Preshaws pipes I ordered and paid the deposit today for a new practice set.
it came down to 2 factors the first being which you mention above , its alot easier in the event that if anything went wrong with them, or they needed repaired or additions added etc: its best to have a pipe maker near home who can carry these out.

Secondly again searching the internet and asking people about Martins pipes , I never came across any negative posts regarding his workmanship and speaking with people no one had anything but praise for the quality and sound of his pipes.

thirdly (althou it doesn't come into it) He is an Irishman who speaks his native tongue.

Regarding the price ( althou it maxed out my budget) you get what you pay for?, if you pay a good price for something one would expect good quality in return.

Mairtin.

billh

Post by billh » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:43 pm

£1000 for a good practice set is very good value indeed.

tritaffy

Post by tritaffy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:03 am

I agree with bill , a grand is a fair price for a good practice set. I have a Preshaw D half set and that's a really nice set and I"ll be picking up my Preshaw C drones to go with the Preshaw C chanter I already have and that's a very nice stick. You won't go far wrong with Preshaw.

I think there are Uilleann learning classes in Maddens in Belfast. John McSherry , Paddy O'Hare were involved. Not sure if they are still going but worth a look.

Mei

Mairtin

Post by Mairtin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:53 am

tritaffy wrote:I agree with bill , a grand is a fair price for a good practice set. I have a Preshaw D half set and that's a really nice set and I"ll be picking up my Preshaw C drones to go with the Preshaw C chanter I already have and that's a very nice stick. You won't go far wrong with Preshaw.

I think there are Uilleann learning classes in Maddens in Belfast. John McSherry , Paddy O'Hare were involved. Not sure if they are still going but worth a look.

Mei
Cheers tritaffy.

I forgot to add the VAT etc: onto the price which will obviously bring the price up some, yeah your right there is UP classes in Maddens Bar in Belfast....but as a beginner ( haven't played the pipes before ) I will wait till I learn the scales/few tunes and get used to the bag and bellows before I even think about attending classes etc:

I meet Paddy O'Hare at the belfast Tionol during a reed making class , he had a reed made in no time at all which sounded great. with precise clear instructions on how to make them, good instructor and nice fella at that.

Martin