Michael Vignoles

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

bluecharm

Michael Vignoles

Post by bluecharm » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:43 am

Hi,
I am interested in a half set of Michael Vignoles uilleann pipes. When doing a google I found a few bad comments about his pipes but these were several years ago. Someone even suggested he was using Pakistani pipes but I don't believe that for a minute. I also found that most comments were favourable and people were generally quite happy with what he produced. Since I do not have the benefit of listening to the pipes ahead of time before I buy them, I have to rely on opinions before ordering. The pipes are reasonably priced. Any opinions out there. You can e-mail me privately if you want.

Bluecharm

PJ

Re: Michael Vignoles

Post by PJ » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:44 am

From what I've heard, a while back MV was commissioned to make a number of practice sets for a music shop. The chanters made for those practice sets were, apparently, not his best work and he subsequently changed his design. This might be what you are referring to. I don't know how many were made or when they were made. Here's a link to a discussion about one of those practice sets:

http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewto ... t=vignoles

Incidently, Michael Vignoles seems to have taken care of the owner of that practice set, so it certainly looks like he values his reputation as a pipemaker (a good sign):

http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewto ... es#p872897

Apart from those chanters, I've not heard anything bad about Michael Vignoles' pipes.

I suggest you make sure the pipes you're getting are not his old design chanter. You can easily see the difference between the old and new design chanter - the old design had no key blocks and no mounts, while the new design has key blocks and artificial ivory mounts.
PJ

daveboling

Post by daveboling » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:31 am

The practice set I started with was from Michael. The chanter played well and the more experienced players who tried it (primarily to show me that the sounds I was getting at that time were my doing and not the chanter :D ) pronounced it "a good stick". This was about eight or nine years ago. I bought the set second hand, so it could have been made 10 years ago or more.

dave boling
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that certain je ne sais quoi. - P. Schickele

clarepiper

Post by clarepiper » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:11 pm

I met michael in Galway in 1997...he took my brother and i to his shop, met his mother in law and had tea. Without a doubt he makes his own pipes, saw the shop and pipes in various stages of completion with my own eyes.
I ordered a chanter from him a few months down the line played it until 2005, when i sold it to a chap in Australia. Aside from having to tinker with with the holes a bit to get the notes to play in tune(i play highland and have had to do the same with every GHB chanter i have ever owned), i loved them...If i had the budget i would not hesitate to order another from him. Buying a Penny chanter due to cost, but i HIGHLY recommend Michael as a pipe maker, he's a great guy as well.

Clarepiper

Anyone got a David Daye practice set for sale cheap?
How do you get two pipers to play in tune?...Shoot one.