NARROW bore Regulators in Concert sets ??

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

eric f.

NARROW bore Regulators in Concert sets ??

Post by eric f. » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:45 am

Hello,

I would like to know how many Concert sets are out there with narrow bore Regulators. I read somewhere that Pete Hunter used this idea in his sets and David Stephenson also. Is there any other makers? But how this idea works? Isn't there any problems becouse of different air needs for wide bore drones & chanter and narrow bore regs ect.? But I gues you can adjust regulator reeds to higher air pressure? Any thoughts, or better experiences ... What will be positive and what negative results if you have set with such regs?

djm

Re: NARROW bore Regulators in Concert sets ??

Post by djm » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:59 am

The benefit would be quieter regs that don't overpower the chanter. You can adjust the reeds to balance out the pressures. Also, I don't know if the whole bore has to be narrow. Some pipers try to make the air inlet to the regs smaller (Ronan Browne has described this). Joe Kennedy limits regs volume to keep them quiet. I'm sure any pipemaker can do this if you ask.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

PJ

Post by PJ » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:25 am

The combination of loud chanter and quiet regulators may not suit all styles. For example, someone who prefers single playing single notes on the regulators rather than chords.

Personally, I think that unless you spend most of your time leaning on the reg keys, playing 3-note chords, there's little chance you'll drown out a properly reeded wide bore chanter.
PJ

billh

Post by billh » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:51 am

It's quite common - I would venture to say 'standard practice' among pipemakers of the past - to find regulator bores that are overall slightly smaller than the chanter bore. In most cases this appears to have been a case of the same tools being inserted slightly less deeply into the bore. In the case of concert pitch pipes I would not call regulators treated in this way "narrow bore", since the difference in dimension is modest and the basic bore shape, cone angle, etc. is the same, but it does alter their loudness and tonal characteristics.

Some modern makers have gone so far as to use "narrow bore" reamers (i.e. smaller cone angle etc.) in regulators, with consequent narrower staples and reed heads such as one associates with flat pipes, while using much wider staples and reeds in the chanter. This is a more dramatic difference than I have observed in older sets.

David Stephenson
Location: 18 Bridge Terrace Richmond North Yorkshire DL10 4RQ

Post by David Stephenson » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:19 pm

billh wrote:It's quite common - I would venture to say 'standard practice' among pipemakers of the past - to find regulator bores that are overall slightly smaller than the chanter bore. In most cases this appears to have been a case of the same tools being inserted slightly less deeply into the bore. In the case of concert pitch pipes I would not call regulators treated in this way "narrow bore", since the difference in dimension is modest and the basic bore shape, cone angle, etc. is the same, but it does alter their loudness and tonal characteristics.

Some modern makers have gone so far as to use "narrow bore" reamers (i.e. smaller cone angle etc.) in regulators, with consequent narrower staples and reed heads such as one associates with flat pipes, while using much wider staples and reeds in the chanter. This is a more dramatic difference than I have observed in older sets.

Your spot on Billh :wink: and as Ronan has mentioned a slight restriction of the air passage to compensate for the chanter higher register is needed on tenor and baritone regs.
On some of the older sets like Egan the air feed hole is drilled at an angle towards the reed chamber and about a1/3rd the size, check out Ginsberg drawings of C set for a cross sectional.
Train to be a pipe maker today, help those who want to help themselves.