Charles Roberts Bass Drone

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

Mr.Gumby

Re: Charles Roberts Bass Drone

Post by Mr.Gumby » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:41 am

Nobody going to question the post above?
My brain hurts

wooff

Post by wooff » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:16 am

Question the above post ? In what way Gumby old chap?

Question the fact that one should not call someone a thief in public ?

Pascal,
have you had these pipes examined by an expert..... avant vous donnerez un mauvais appel à le fabricant ?

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:32 am

Well, Pascal seems to have had a problem with his bass drone for more than five years and I can imagine the built up frustration needs venting.

That said, posting on forums like this and calling someone a thief or a crook, that probably requires a bit more explanation than just I can't get it to work.
My brain hurts

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:46 am

To be strictly accurate the word 'escroc' used by Pascal translates as swindler.

Perhaps all UPs should come with a disclaimer - the buyer should not expect these things to work :wink: . The 'offence' might be more like a breach of sale of goods regulations than theft.

djm

Post by djm » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:44 am

Then again, judging by a litany of similar complaints over many years on various UP forums, one has to admit that Mr. Roberts has a history of pissing off his clients by not responding to their questions/concerns.

djm
Sex and drugs and uilleann pipes

outofthebox

Post by outofthebox » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:35 am

I'm pretty sure that Mr Roberts' drones are capable of working pretty much as well as those of any other maker, as most are basically working to the same models.

The problem for anyone trying to play this instrument is that they shouldn't expect it to play like other musical instruments. The Irish pipes have to be persuaded to work - which is very demanding and involves acquiring a lot of practical knowledge of reeds and pressure sensitivity. This is especially the case for drone reeds as unless the pressure resistance is set just right then they will close down and stop during every tune. I think this may be Pascal's experience - but I'm afraid that it is an experience he may only repeat with his new set. A good workman should never blame his tools - even when the tools in question are as temperamental as these pipes.

tompipes

Post by tompipes » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:52 pm

Did the drone ever work?

chris bayley

Post by chris bayley » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:25 pm

Out of the box wrote : I'm pretty sure that Mr Roberts' drones are capable of working pretty much as well as those of any other maker, as most are basically working to the same models.

Mr Gumby wrote : Well, Pascal seems to have had a problem with his bass drone for more than five years and I can imagine the built up frustration needs venting.
Have had a number of Charles pipes in for a spot of maintenance over the years and all worked as well as many other makes of concert pipes.
Wooff wrote Pascal,
have you had these pipes examined by an expert..... avant vous donnerez un mauvais appel à le fabricant ?
Geoff this is what I wrote earlier in this thread - 2009 to be precise so an offer has been made to try and help Pascal. Making and fitting a drone reed or two at a festival is easy enough
Charles should be at the Boulegan festival, St Jean du Gard, Languedoc at Easter. He has moved to Spain and is still making pipes and I think his email may have changed. From sets I have had in the workshop his work is fine and usually works well.

If you cannot get to Boulegan I am going and may pass close enough to meet up and have a look at your pipes. Usually use Eurotunnel and the motoway past Clermont Ferrand.

If not I will be at St Chartier (16th, 17th and 18th July). This has changed location and is now at the Chateau d'Ars just outside La Chatre and can look at them there.
New Website now live at http://www.uilleann-pipes.co.uk. It is still under construction with more to be added
My original website http://www.bagpipeworld.co.uk remains in place as historical

thurfjell

Post by thurfjell » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:57 pm

pascal wrote:Hello!
I reply with very much delay to your posts...
About my half set made by Charles Roberts,
It's a reality that it doenst work right !!!
NEVER i can play with my set.
my drons reeds dont work right , never and my chanter reed is ot ok even if i put another one.
Alos I tried to contact Charles Roberts who never replied me.........
For me he is an "escroc" french word dont know the english same. = thief.
I have just orderec another set make by a french pipemaker and my charles Roberts will finidh soon in the fire on barbecue the real place
of the kind of bad instrument.It is a very shame fir Ireland to made so bad instrument with is not albe to play right..
I just signed up today to respond to Pascals remarks on Charles Roberts.

As it happens, I worked with Charles in 1999 and 2000. I think I even did some work on a half set for a French man named Pascal. Is that during the time your half set was made, Pascal?

Anyways. I just can not stand by and read your defaming remarks on Charles. I would not say that the way Charles conducted his business at the time I was there was perfect. Sometimes people had to wait for a long time to get their pipes, sometimes there were delays, sometimes it took weeks for Charles to respond to E-mail. But, hey - ask any pipe maker what it is like crafting probably the world's most advanced woodwind instrument. It takes time, it is an infuriatingly complex procedure and the monetary reward (at least in the early 2000s) far from met the spent time and effort of making the product sold.

During my time with Charles, every single detail of every set made was hand crafted. No CNC, no casting, no shortcuts. I'll give you that the visual design of his pipes was quite basic, but they always played very nice. We spent a great deal of time making the right reed for every chanter and drone (I never did any work on regulators other than making the keys).

I have not been able to contact Charles in many years, and quite frankly, I am a bit worried. I have seen a video clip from 2011 or so on Youtube of his older son, Alan, playing at a session in Sligo. That is the latest occurrence of the Roberts family I have been able to find. So, I am not surprised you have note been able to contact Charles.

There are plenty other ways of getting a set of Uilleann pipes working. For a start, try making your own reeds. Every uilleann piper should make their own reeds. If you do not have the passion required to make your own reeds, contact a reputable reed maker and open your wallet. It is going to cost you, and it should. Reed making takes a great deal of time, which is the very reason few pipe makers offer reeds to pipes of other makes than their own.

Regards,
Mattias.

the plod
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by the plod » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Topic locked, everyone has had their say.