Plastic Bags

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

patsky

Plastic Bags

Post by patsky » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:23 pm

After a few leters back and forth concerning the problems presented by the leather bags I decide to wrote a note supporting the use of Vynal plastic bags sometimes called Naugahyde.

I have been playing the pipes for over 30 years and have used plastic bags for most of that time. I find that leather bags are expensive, leaky and prone to rot. The best thing to do with a leaky bag, leather or plastic, is to throw it in the trash and get a good bag.
Filling the bag with gook such as grease and wax just make a mess and will eventually destroy the leather.

Back in the early 1970’s I made a “Naugahyde” bag for Seamus Ennis. Total cost …3 pounds. Seamus loved it and joked about hunting the elusive Nauga. He used that bag until he died in the early 1980’s.

A few months later I instructed Paddy Keenan and His father, in Donahughe’s Pub” how to make a plastic bag. Paddy uses plastic bags to this day.

The point is that one can make a bag with one yard of material and a tube of “Barge” cement, for under $15.00. The bag will last up to 10 years and is completely leak proof and air tight.

Tip one…. If you insist on a leather bag, be sure and use a bag cover because the sweat from you arm will build a base of grease and salt that is a bacteria’s dream; guaranteed to rot.

Tip two…if you insist on a leather bag make sure that it does not leak at all…if it does send it back.

In the meantime give the old plastic bag a try.

All the best,
Pat Sky

PJ

Post by PJ » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:02 pm

I've had bad experiences with vinyl both in bags and bellows. I prefer the look and feel of leather for bellows and suede for bags.

My first practice set had a vinyl bag and it lasted about a year before the vinyl cracked along the entire length of the neck. The maker replaced the bag with another synthetic material (not vinyl) which 10 years later (when I sold it) was still fine.

I have twice had to remove leaking vinyl gussets from bellows. The first one lasted about 2 years but the second one only lasted 3 months. I ended up fitting a double-ply leather gusset.

I heard Paddy Keenan mention that his father used to make bags from truck/bus inner-tubes.
PJ

MichaelLoos

Post by MichaelLoos » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:14 am

I made my first vinyl bag almost 25 years ago and I still play it, although not very often - it is part of a practice set which I only use in crowded sessions. I line all my bellows with vinyl for tightness, covered with leather for the look of it.

Jonathan_P

Post by Jonathan_P » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:30 pm

I dislike the smell of Naugahyde.
Jonathan

billh

Post by billh » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:39 pm

My experiences with vinyl bags have also been negative. Among other issues which may relate more to personal preference, the vinyl bags have not given long service compared to the leather ones - average life for a vinyl bag in use by students has been about 2 years, and most failed sooner. Only one of six vinyl bags (purchased starting in about 2002) is still in service, whereas all the leather ones are still OK and suitably airtight. In case you're wondering, the naugahyde was the heavy-duty cloth-backed variety, glued with a super-heavy-duty 3M adhesive.

Admittedly some people have had better experiences.

regards

Bill

patsky

Bags

Post by patsky » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:33 pm

The best plastic is known as Marine grade vynal. With the cloth lining is the best. Some of the materials have a nylon mesh lining…no good.

http://www.fabricdirect.com/acatalog/Ma ... Vinyl.html

On the negative side I have had a few bags crack , but the average life for mine has been around 5 years. Considering that many of the leather bag makers are charging upward of $170.00 the old plastic starts to look good even if you have the replace one every few years.

I agree with Billh that rubber bags suck. And that a good leather bag is still the best. The main thing is that the leather must be air tight without having to fill the bag with gunk to get it to seal.

Pat Sky

PJ

Re: Bags

Post by PJ » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:01 pm

patsky wrote:The best plastic is known as Marine grade vynal. With the cloth lining is the best. Some of the materials have a nylon mesh lining…no good.
The vinyl gussets on the bellows that I replaced twice were of marine grade vinyl. They may have had nylon lining.
PJ

MattMc

Post by MattMc » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:58 am

I've just recently moved back to a leather bag. Before then, I'd been making/playing vinyl bags for 5 or 6 years. I've made reams of the things & have found that they usually last me a couple of years each. I love the elasticity of the material, it makes playing slightly easier. I use the 3M fast curing marine adhesive.

What I really love about vinyl bags is that they give you a cheap avenue to figure out EXACTLY where your stocks need to be placed in relation to your physical build. If you don't place 'em right initially, throw that bag in the garbage and make another.

Hung out with Paddy Keenan back in May & he uses two layers of vinyl for his bags.

Heya Pat!
~MMc

dollid

Re: Plastic Bags

Post by dollid » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:58 am

Bags from Market Basket, almost all stores...... c :roll: an they be recycled? They vary in content and weight, but most are plastic.