David Daye penny chanter, etc.

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

RenaissanceGuy

David Daye penny chanter, etc.

Post by RenaissanceGuy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:51 am

Hello there. I was wondering if anyone here has been able to get in touch with David Daye and order anything from him such as the penny chanter and/or half set in recent months?

I've tried contacting him a couple times over the last month via the email addresses on his website but I have not gotten any response.

RenaissanceGuy

Re: David Daye penny chanter, etc.

Post by RenaissanceGuy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:53 pm

Well, I ended up going with an alternate source for a half set.

Novak
United States of America

Post by Novak » Mon May 20, 2019 1:08 pm

What did you go with in the end, RenaissanceGuy?

RenaissanceGuy

Post by RenaissanceGuy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:58 pm

So I got a hold of a "re-crafted" "import" type half set that a gentleman in my area happened to be getting rid of on Craigslist (I wanted to have drones going right away as accompaniment instead of starting off with a practice set). He had had some work done on it, and even replaced the cheap vinyl bag with a nice leather one, but I still had to do additional "re-crafting" of my own to get it working okay, including installing composite drone reeds by EzeeDrone and adding my own leather hinge to the bellows. I also attached a Kenneth McNicholl 3D printed chanter to this contraption. The whole setup actually turned out decent for learning on, for a number of months.

Then, very recently, I came across an opportunity to upgrade. So I am now the happy owner of a CJ Dixon 3/4 set. I will probably stick with this for the long term. I'm still working on getting the drones playing at a comfortable level of bag pressure, but I'm already experimenting with a bit of basic regulator accompaniment on slow airs.