Question about regulators

An on-line forum to discuss uilleann pipes

Moderators: the plod, snoogie, dropkick

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:07 am
Real Name: Simone

Question about regulators

Post by cheip » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:06 am

Why regulators are called *regulators*? What they regulates?

Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:03 am

Re: Question about regulators

Post by outofthebox8 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:57 am

Good question! In my opinion the word 'regulator' refers to the regulation of tempo - in that the keys are tapped with the wrist in accordance with the tempo of the tune being played. I agree that it is a strange choice of word, which leads me back to my other theory - that the Irish pipes may have been developed by instrument makers who came over from France and that the word 'regulator' may be a derivation or translation of some French musical term.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GasminA and 2 guests